Diagonalizable Matrices & Eigenvalues!

• Thread starter Este
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

Is it sufficient to determine that a nXn matrix is not diagonalizable by showing that the number of its distinct eigenvalues is less than n?

Thanks for your time.

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should empirically test your hypothesis; try it out on the simplest matrices you can imagine.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For example, how many distinct eigenvalues does

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
have?

Ok I got your point...I think the question should be now, how to check whether a matrix is diagonalizable or not?

A theorem I've encountered in my textbook:
Theorem 3: Suppose that A is an nXn matrix and that A has n distinct eigenvalues, then A is diagonalizable.
and somewhere else I read this is sufficient to prove a matrix is diagonalizable but not the other way around.. that's why I posted the question..

So now, all I can do is to prove that Matrix x is diagonalizable, but if it's not, I can't tell for sure....what other methods should I be using?

Thanks for your responses.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The most direct way to tell if a matrix isn't diagonalizable is to try and diagonalize it.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ok I got your point...I think the question should be now, how to check whether a matrix is diagonalizable or not?

A theorem I've encountered in my textbook:

and somewhere else I read this is sufficient to prove a matrix is diagonalizable but not the other way around.. that's why I posted the question..
Yes- sufficient but not necessary.

So now, all I can do is to prove that Matrix x is diagonalizable, but if it's not, I can't tell for sure....what other methods should I be using?

Thanks for your responses.
An n by n matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has n independent eigenvectors. Since eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are always independent, if there are n distinct eigenvalues, then there are n independent eigenvectors and so the matrix is diagonalizable. But even if the eigenvalues are not all distinct, there may still be independent eigenvectors.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
as I pointed out before has the single eigenvalue 1 but is already diagonal because <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1> are independent eigenvectors.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
also has 1 as its only eigenvalue. Now, <1, 0, 0> and <0, 0, 1> are the only eigenvectors so this matrix cannot be diagonalized.

Finally,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
also has 1 as its only eigenvalue but now only <1, 0, 0> and multiples of that are eigenvectors.

Great! Things are pretty clear now, thanks HallsofIvy!

Last edited: