Types of complex matrices, why only 3?

In summary, the three main types of complex matrices are Hermitian, Skew-Hermitian, and Unitary. However, there should also be a fourth type known as Non-unitary-non-hermitian, which has one imaginary value and a complex conjugate. This type of matrix cannot be diagonalizable, normal, or Hermitian. It is possible to transform a matrix of this type to one of class 1 using techniques such as Gauss Elimination. Additionally, there are many other important subclasses of complex matrices, such as invertible, symmetric, skew-symmetric, singular, regular, orthogonal, and symplectic. Further investigation into these types of matrices can be done through the study of bilinear forms and Lie
SeM
Hi, the three main types of complex matrices are:

1. Hermitian, with only real eigenvalues
2. Skew-Hermitian , with only imaginary eigenvalues
3. Unitary, with only complex conjugates.

Shouldn't there be a fourth type:

4. Non-unitary-non-hermitian, with one imaginary value (i.e. 3i) and a complex conjugate (i.e. 4+5i)

?

Can such a forth type be transformed in some fashion? It is not diagonalizable, not normal and not-Hermitian. I have looked into the Foldy–Wouthuysen transformation , but am not sure this will work on a complex matrix. Are there any possibilities to transform a matrix of class 4 to one of class 1, such as using Gauss Elimination?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are just three subclasses of complex matrices. They are not covering all matrices.

It is like "prime numbers" and "square numbers" for integers: Both are subsets of the integers, but they don't cover everything. In fact, most matrices (for suitable definitions of "most") are not in any of your three categories.

What do you mean by "transform"? I guess you don't want arbitrary operations, otherwise you can just exchange a matrix by the identity matrix for example.

SeM said:
Shouldn't there be a fourth type
There are plenty. Invertible, symmetric, skew-symmetric, singular, regular, orthogonal, symplectic, special.

You are turning the process upside down. If you want to investigate a certain type of matrices and there isn't yet a name for it, then you can call this property by a suitable name. Not the other way around.

SeM said:
Hi, the three main types of complex matrices are:

1. Hermitian, with only real eigenvalues
2. Skew-Hermitian , with only imaginary eigenvalues
3. Unitary, with only complex conjugates.

Shouldn't there be a fourth type:

4. Non-unitary-non-hermitian, with one imaginary value (i.e. 3i) and a complex conjugate (i.e. 4+5i)

?

Can such a forth type be transformed in some fashion? It is not diagonalizable, not normal and not-Hermitian. I have looked into the Foldy–Wouthuysen transformation , but am not sure this will work on a complex matrix. Are there any possibilities to transform a matrix of class 4 to one of class 1, such as using Gauss Elimination?

Thanks!

How about the major ones : invertible, non-invertible? Tho " most" matrices are invertible, i.e., ##Gl(n, \mathbb R)## is dense in ## M_{ n\times n} \mathbb R ## , which translates to a similar result for Complex matrices (Basically, continuity of the Determinant, which is a polynomial on the entries). I assume your transformations would preserve at least this, i.e., invertibility, and you would want matrices in ##Gl(n,\mathbb C) ## to not be embeddings of those in ## Gl(n,\mathbb R) ##.

Last edited:
I am a novice here but I think there should indeed be, in your organization, a 4th type called hermitian symplectic. I.e. hermitian matrices are of interest for the bilinear forms they define. Among those there is a standard one defined by the identity matrix. Other hermitian matrice define this same form but with respect to a different basis, if they are positive definite. Hermitian matrices transform into other hermitian matrices by means of invertible change of basis matrices. Those matrices that preserve the standard form are called unitary.

Skew hermitian matrices also define bilinear forms, but ones that are skew (conjugate) symmetric rather than (conjugate) symmetric. There is a standard one of these also, represented by the square 2n by 2n matrix with the nbyn identity in the lower left corner, minus that matrix in the top right corner, and all else zeros. Then the fourth type of matrix would be the ones that preserve this standard skew hermitian form, the so called skew hermitian matrices.

Interestingly there is also a connection between unitary and skew hermiotian matrices. Namely it seems the lie algebra of skew hermitian matrices is naturally the tangent space at the identity of the lie group of unitary matrices! you might want to pursue some reading about bilinear forms say in Mike Artin's Algebra book, and possibly some reading on lie groups and lie algebras. The point is your chosen matrices are all associated with the theory of bilinear forms.you might also enjoy a related but slightly different relationship arising in the theory of Riemann's theta functions. Namely these are defined by symmetric complex matrices with positive definite imaginary part, and the space of these is acted on by the real symplectic matrices, where the stabilizer of i times the identity matrix is the unitary group. This is beautifully described in chapter 2 of volume 1 of David Mumford's 3 volume treatise on theta functions.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Thanks!

1. Why are there only 3 types of complex matrices?

The concept of complex matrices is based on the properties of complex numbers. Since complex numbers have two parts - a real part and an imaginary part - complex matrices also have two parts. Therefore, there are only 3 types of complex matrices: real matrices, imaginary matrices, and complex matrices with both real and imaginary parts.

2. How are real and imaginary matrices different?

A real matrix only contains real numbers, while an imaginary matrix only contains imaginary numbers. Real matrices are represented by the real part of a complex number, while imaginary matrices are represented by the imaginary part. For example, a real matrix could be represented by the real number 3, while an imaginary matrix could be represented by the imaginary number 4i.

3. What is the difference between a complex matrix and a complex number?

A complex matrix is a rectangular array of complex numbers, while a complex number is a single number with both real and imaginary parts. A complex matrix can contain multiple complex numbers, while a complex number can only have one real and one imaginary part.

4. Can a complex matrix have both real and imaginary parts in the same entry?

Yes, a complex matrix can have both real and imaginary parts in the same entry. This is because complex numbers are represented by a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Therefore, a complex matrix can have entries such as 3 + 4i, where 3 is the real part and 4i is the imaginary part.

5. What are some practical applications of complex matrices?

Complex matrices are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are commonly used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and image processing. In engineering, they are used for electrical circuit analysis and control systems. In physics, they are used for wave function analysis and quantum mechanics calculations. In computer science, they are used for data compression and image processing algorithms.