Diagonalization of adjoint representation of a Lie Group

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of diagonalizing the adjoint representation of an abelian subgroup T in a Lie group G, using the Cartan-Weyl basis. The conditions for this to work in the case of SU(N) are discussed, with the conclusion that it is possible due to the simplicity of the group and the existence of an abelian subalgebra. However, not all generators of the Lie algebra can be diagonalized in this way, only those in the Cartan subalgebra. Care must also be taken with the center of the group, but overall it is possible to diagonalize the adjoint representation for every element in the group.
Luck0
So, we know that if g is a Lie algebra, we can take the cartan subalgebra h ⊂ g and diagonalize the adjoint representation of h, ad(h). This generates the Cartan-Weyl basis for g. Now, let G be the Lie group with Lie algebra g. Is there a way to diagonalize the adjoint representation Ad(T) of some abelian subgroup T ⊂ G and take the resulting eigenvectors as a basis of g using the Cartan-Weyl basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about T = exp(h)? Thus we get Ad(T)=Ad(exp(h))=exp(ad(h)). What are your conditions? You'll certainly need some restrictions of the field and maybe on the Lie algebra, too.

fresh_42 said:
What about T = exp(h)? Thus we get Ad(T)=Ad(exp(h))=exp(ad(h)). What are your conditions? You'll certainly need some restrictions of the field and maybe on the Lie algebra, too.

Yes, this is what I thought too but I'm having trouble with the following: in the Lie algebra case, we take the generators of Cartan subalgebra and diagonalize them in the adjoint representation. The other generators (let's call them k) of the algebra are given by eigenvectors of ad(h), something like ad(h)|k> = k|k>. But, since [h,k] = -[k,h], I also obtain a diagonalization of the adjoint representation of the other generators k (right?), so I have a diagonalization of ad(v), for every v ∈ g. I want the same to happen in the Lie group case, that is, I want to find a diagonalization of Ad(U), for every U ∈ G. And I'm not sure if with this exponential thing I can do that. I have to put more thought on it. About my conditions, I want to do this for SU(N).

Luck0 said:
About my conditions, I want to do this for SU(N).
This makes things a lot easier: complex number field, simple Lie algebra, so no need to think about characteristic two, centers or nilpotent Lie algebras etc., and the group is compact, simple and a subgroup of ##SL(n,\mathbb{C})## plus the Dynkin diagram is the simplest one: ##A_{n-1}##.

However, you do not have a diagonalization for every ##\operatorname{ad}X\; , \;X \in \mathfrak{g}##. We have ##\mathfrak{su}(n)=\mathfrak{h} \oplus \sum_{\alpha \in \mathfrak{h}^*} \mathbb{C}\cdot E_\alpha## with eigenvectors ##E_\alpha## for ##\mathfrak{h}##. That is ##\operatorname{ad}(H)=\alpha(H)\cdot E_\alpha\; , \;H\in \mathfrak{h},\alpha \in \mathfrak{h}^*##. The multilpication of ##E_\alpha## follows the rule ##[E_\alpha,E_\beta] \in \mathbb{C}E_{\alpha+\beta}## which is not diagonal.

The diagonalizable generators are precisely those in ##\operatorname{\mathfrak{h}}##. ##\mathfrak{h}## is Abelian and corresponds to ##T##, which I suspect stands for toral subgroup, which simply means semisimple which again means simultaneously diagonalizable. It could only be, that some care with the center of ##SU(n)## is necessary, which are the diagonal matrices ##\xi \cdot I\; , \;\xi^n=1## and thus again no big deal.

fresh_42 said:
However, you do not have a diagonalization for every ##\operatorname{ad}X\; , \;X \in \mathfrak{g}##. We have ##\mathfrak{su}(n)=\mathfrak{h} \oplus \sum_{\alpha \in \mathfrak{h}^*} \mathbb{C}\cdot E_\alpha## with eigenvectors ##E_\alpha## for ##\mathfrak{h}##. That is ##\operatorname{ad}(H)=\alpha(H)\cdot E_\alpha\; , \;H\in \mathfrak{h},\alpha \in \mathfrak{h}^*##. The multilpication of ##E_\alpha## follows the rule ##[E_\alpha,E_\beta] \in \mathbb{C}E_{\alpha+\beta}## which is not diagonal.

Of course! I was mixing things

The diagonalizable generators are precisely those in ##\operatorname{\mathfrak{h}}##. ##\mathfrak{h}## is Abelian and corresponds to ##T##, which I suspect stands for toral subgroup, which simply means semisimple which again means simultaneously diagonalizable. It could only be, that some care with the center of ##SU(n)## is necessary, which are the diagonal matrices ##\xi \cdot I\; , \;\xi^n=1## and thus again no big deal.

Yes, you're probably right, I will give it a try. Thank you!

1. What is the adjoint representation of a Lie Group?

The adjoint representation of a Lie Group is a way of representing the group's elements as linear transformations on the group's Lie algebra. It is an important tool in studying the structure and properties of Lie Groups.

2. How is the adjoint representation related to diagonalization?

The adjoint representation can be diagonalized by finding a basis for the Lie algebra that consists of eigenvectors of the adjoint operator. This allows us to simplify calculations and better understand the group's structure.

3. What is the significance of diagonalization in Lie Group theory?

Diagonalization of the adjoint representation allows us to decompose the group into a direct sum of simpler subgroups, making it easier to study the group's properties and behavior. It is also useful in understanding the group's Lie algebra and its relationship to other mathematical structures.

4. How is diagonalization of the adjoint representation used in physics?

In physics, Lie Groups and their adjoint representations are used to describe symmetries in physical systems. Diagonalization of the adjoint representation allows us to simplify these symmetries and understand their effects on the system.

5. Can all adjoint representations be diagonalized?

Not all adjoint representations can be diagonalized, as it depends on the specific Lie Group and its Lie algebra. However, diagonalization is possible for many commonly studied Lie Groups, such as the special orthogonal group and the special unitary group.