Compact Lie Group: Proof of Discrete Center & Finite Size?

In summary, the argument suggests that there does not exist a non-trivial continuous homomorphism from Lie group ##G## to (Abelian) ##\mathbb{R}^+##.
Calabi
Hello, let be ##G## a connected Lie group. I suppose##Ad(G) \subset Gl(T_{e}G)## is compact and the center ## Z(G)## of ##G## is discret (just to remember, forall ##g \in G##, ##Ad(g) = T_{e}i_{g}## with ##i_{g} : x \rightarrow gxg^{-1}##.).

I saw without any proof that in those hypothesis ##G## is compact and the center is finite.

Have you got a proof of this results please?

Here is the things I try to do : if we show ##G## compact, then since the center is closed and discret then it will be finite. But since ##G## is connected we show that ##Z(G)## is the kernel of
##Ad## so as ##Ad(G)## is compact it's also a Lie group so that ##Ad(G)## is isomorph to ##G / Z(G)##. Then if I show the commutator group is dense in ##G / Z(G)##, I saw in a books that we get the result but I don't know how to do.

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen a proof, where it is also required, that there doesn't exist any non-trivial continuous homomorphism from ##G## to (Abelian) ##\mathbb{R}^+##, which the density of ##[G,G]## is one possibility to get this. (The proof goes along the lines: If ##Z(G)## is infinite, then there is such a homomorphism from ##Z(G)## which can be extended to one of ##G##. By ruling this out, we get a finite center.)

Hello Fresh_42(that's been a long time, hope you're fine.).
Your argument is interessting. Have you got a reference?

I stump on this result which not seem trivial I'm curious to see how to show it.

I've found it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387909699/?tag=pfamazon01-20, in section 4.11 theorem 4.11.5 to prepare Weyl's theorem. It doesn't look very complicated, but it's four lemmas on roughly two pages that deal with this homomorphism and it's extensibility to ##G##. The result itself is proven for connected, locally compact Lie groups satisfying second countability with discrete center and ##G/Z(G)## compact and this non-existence requirement for mappings to ##\mathbb{R}^+##.

Hello fresh_42, I consult the book in my University's library. I see the theorem but how to link to the first result I try to show?

I remember I try to show ##Ad(G) \subset Gl(T_{e}G)## is compact and the center ## Z(G)## of ##G## is discret (just to remember, forall ##g \in G##, ##Ad(g) = T_{e}i_{g}## with ##i_{g} : x \rightarrow gxg^{-1}##.). implies ##G## is compact and the center is finite.
It's enough to show ##G## is compact as ##Z(G)## is finite as claim at the beginning.
Sorry for the late of the answer but I was perparing my class entry.

Then, the non existence on continuous homomorphism is not garanti.

A closer look on Varadarajan's theorem showed me, that he only requires a central discrete subgroup ##C## (along with the conditions on ##G## and ##G/C## compact), which is weaker than the entire center to be discrete. The stronger condition on ##Z(G)## might already be sufficient, not sure.

As I see it, this somehow technical requirement is an attempt to be a) as general as possible (using central subgoups ##C\,##) and b) get a hold on the center, i.e. guarantee it is finite, which you also used in your argument. The problem with the center is always, that you cannot factor it out, because ##G/Z(G)## can still have a center, and center elements always lead to degrees of freedom in any representation.

The proof Varadarajan gives shows that the conditions on ##G## (locally compact, connected, 2nd order countability) and the discreteness of ##C## with ##G/C## compact imply that ##C## is finitely generated. Then an infinite central subgroup ##C## would imply a non-trivial, continuous homomorphism to ##\mathbb{R}^+## and he proceeds to lift such a homomorphism ##\varphi ## to ##G##.

So if we can rule out ##\varphi## we can in return guarantee that ##C=Z(G)## is finite, which we really want. The trick here is that we search for a topological property (finite center) and the proof gives us an algebraic mean to test this (no ##\varphi##). Therefore we have a sufficient condition. I don't know, whether it is also a necessary condition. But maybe the given conditions in case ##C=Z(G)##, which imply that ##Z(G)## is finally generated (main result in Varadarajan's proof), is already sufficient to rule out the existence of ##\varphi##.

To summarize it, we are looking for a way to rule out the situation ##Z(G) \cong \{c_1,\ldots c_m\} \times \mathbb{Z}^n## with ##n \geq 1##. The non-existence of ##\varphi## is one possibility to rule it out.

Last edited:
OK. I understand a few things. But I'm not sure to be able to show what you said.
Thanks a lot for your answer. If someone as idea I'll be pleased to listen it.

The things is that we use ##Ad(G)## compact only to show ##G / Z(G)## which is not enough.
And the discret properties is not use too much.

I'm not quite sure, if I understood you correctly. E.g. if we take ##G=\mathbb{R}^n## as connected, Abelian Lie group, then ##\operatorname{Ad}G=\{1\}## which is compact, but ##Z(G)=\mathbb{R}^n## is not discrete. On the other hand, if we take ##G=SL_n(\mathbb{R})## with odd ##n## as connected Lie group, then ##\operatorname{Ad}(G) \cong G = SL_n(\mathbb{R})## is not compact but ##Z(G)=\{1\}## is discrete. Of course these are extreme examples, but it shows that connectedness alone doesn't imply anything.

Last edited:
Hello it's doesen't work. My goal is to show ##G## connected ##Ad(G)## compact and ##Z(G)## discret ##\Rightarrow ##
##G## compact and ##Z(G)## finite.

I saw in a book that if we add ##T_{e}G## semi simple it's work.

It beginn the same ways as me by remarking ##Ad(G) \simeq G / Z(G)## is compact and is a Lie group because ##Z(G)## is discret.
Then he claim that ##G / Z(G)## is equats to its derivate group and that it conclude.

Do you see why?

The derivate ##D## group of ##G' = G / Z(G)## is not always closed(so it's not necessarly a Lie Group for the induce topolgie.). So we must show that ##D## is closed.
Then if we show that ##[T_{e}G', T_{e}G'] = T_{e}G'##(the equality is true because of semi simplicity.). is the tangent bundle of
##D## then ##D = G'##.

But I don't see how conclude even with that.

What do you think please?

Calabi said:
Hello it's doesen't work. My goal is to show ##G## connected ##Ad(G)## compact and ##Z(G)## discret ##\Rightarrow ##
##G## compact and ##Z(G)## finite.
In short we have an exact sequence ##Z(G)_{discrete} \rightarrowtail G_{connected} \twoheadrightarrow \operatorname{Ad}(G)_{compact}##. What I don't see is how you could rule out that ##Z(G)## contains copies of ##\mathbb{Z}##. Couldn't we even extend ##G## by any central lattice without affecting the other properties? It certainly doesn't affect ##\operatorname{Ad}(G)## and it should be doable in a connected way. So something more has to be required.
Calabi said:
I saw in a book that if we add ##T_{e}G## semi simple it's work.

It beginn the same ways as me by remarking ##Ad(G) \simeq G / Z(G)## is compact and is a Lie group because ##Z(G)## is discret.
Then he claim that ##G / Z(G)## is equats to its derivate group and that it conclude.

Do you see why?

Calabi said:
The derivate ##D## group of ##G' = G / Z(G)## is not always closed(so it's not necessarly a Lie Group for the induce topolgie.). So we must show that ##D## is closed.
Then if we show that ##[T_{e}G', T_{e}G'] = T_{e}G'##(the equality is true because of semi simplicity.). is the tangent bundle of
##D## then ##D = G'##.

But I don't see how conclude even with that.
I'm not sure that I'm fit enough for the changes between group and algebra and back. However, ##T_e(G)## semisimple is quite a strong condition as we have then
$$
T_e(G)= \mathfrak{g} = [\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}] \cong \operatorname{ad} (\mathfrak{g}) = T_e(\operatorname{Ad}(G)) \cong \operatorname{Der}(\mathfrak{g})
$$
We therefore have ##[G/Z(G), G/Z(G)]=[G,G]/Z(G) ## and ##[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]=\mathfrak{g}##. Now the question is, what does the semisimplicity of ##T_e(G)=\mathfrak{g}## says about the connection component of ##e \in G##.

Varadarajan proves (as a byproduct) that if ##\mathfrak{g}## is a real semisimple Lie algebra and ##\operatorname{Ad}(G)## compact, then all analytic groups ##G## with ##T_e(G) \cong \mathfrak{g}## are compact. This is all in the chapter I mentioned earlier and too long to type in here and I'm not sure, whether there is a shorter way to see it. His theorems are quite general, so maybe there is a shortcut in this special case. Varadarajan proves it with Weyl's theorem, and with this result your statements follow immediately (in case of semisimple ##\mathfrak{g}\,##).

I still think that the general case without this assumption is not true and that connectedness alone is too weak to rule out e.g. ##Z(G)=\mathbb{Z}## but I admit that I have no counterexample.

Last edited:

1. What is a Compact Lie Group?

A Compact Lie Group is a type of mathematical group that has both continuous and discrete symmetries. It is a collection of elements that can be multiplied together and form a closed group, meaning that the result of the multiplication is also an element of the group. Compact Lie Groups have a finite size and a well-defined center, which is the set of all elements that commute with every other element in the group.

2. How is the Center of a Compact Lie Group determined?

The center of a Compact Lie Group is determined by finding the set of all elements that commute with every other element in the group. In other words, the center is the set of elements that do not change the result of a group operation when they are multiplied on the left or right side of any other element in the group.

3. What is the significance of the Center in a Compact Lie Group?

The center of a Compact Lie Group plays a crucial role in the group's structure and properties. It is a normal subgroup, meaning that it is closed under the group operation and contains all of its own conjugacy classes. Additionally, the center can help determine the group's irreducible representations and plays a role in the group's classification.

4. How is the Finite Size of a Compact Lie Group proven?

The finite size of a Compact Lie Group can be proven using the Peter-Weyl theorem, which states that every irreducible representation of a Compact Lie Group is finite-dimensional. This means that the group has a finite number of distinct irreducible representations, and therefore a finite number of elements.

5. Can the proof of the Center and Finite Size of a Compact Lie Group be generalized?

Yes, the proof of the Center and Finite Size of a Compact Lie Group can be generalized to other types of mathematical groups, such as non-compact Lie groups and topological groups. However, the specific techniques and theorems used may differ depending on the group's properties and structure.