A Diagonalization of Hubbard Hamiltonian

Hi guys! I am starting to study Hubbard model with application in DFT and I have some doubts how to solve the Hubbard Hamiltonian. I have the DFT modeled to Hubbard, where the homogeneous Hamiltonian is

$$ H = -t\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sigma (\hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{j\sigma} + H.c.) + \sum_i v_i^{eff} \hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{i\sigma} $$

How do I diagonalize it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi guys! I am starting to study Hubbard model with application in DFT and I have some doubts how to solve the Hubbard Hamiltonian. I have the DFT modeled to Hubbard, where the homogeneous Hamiltonian is

$$ H = -t\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sigma (\hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{j\sigma} + H.c.) + \sum_i v_i^{eff} \hat{c}_{i\sigma}^{\dagger}\hat{c}_{i\sigma} $$

How do I diagonalize it?
Make an arbitrary linear (Bogoliubov) transformation of creation and annihilation operators, work out the conditions that preserve the commutation rules and the conditions that make the resulting Hamiltonian diagonal, and you get a standard problem from linear algebra.