Treatment of singlets in the Hubbard model

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the general Hubbard model to solve for eigenstates of simple quantum dot configurations. Two methods are used to solve for the eigenstates of a double dot with two electrons in a singlet configuration. Method (1) involves using all possible combinations of states while method (2) groups the single occupation states into one singlet state. Both methods yield the same eigenenergies and states, except for an additional state in method (1). This additional state corresponds to the eigenvalues obtained when modeling the system with parallel spins. For larger systems, this difference becomes more significant in determining the lowest energy state. The conversation also mentions the use of an effective Hamiltonian method for projecting onto the subspace of lower energy
supernano
I'm using the general Hubbard model ([itex]H = U \sum n_{i,\uparrow} n_{i,\downarrow} - t \sum (c^{\dagger}_{i,\sigma} c_{i+1,\sigma} + c^{\dagger}_{i+1,\sigma} c_{i,\sigma})[/itex]) to solve for eigenstates of simple quantum dot configurations.
For the case of a double dot with two electrons in singlet configuration, I can solve it in two ways:

(1). Using all possible combination of states:
[itex]| \psi \rangle = a_1 | \uparrow\downarrow , 0 \rangle + a_2 | \uparrow , \downarrow \rangle + a_3 | \downarrow , \uparrow \rangle + a_4 | 0 , \uparrow\downarrow \rangle[/itex]
with a matrix Hamiltonian [itex]H = \left[
\begin{array}{cccc} U & -t & -t & 0 \\ -t & 0 & 0 & -t \\ -t & 0 & 0 & -t \\ 0 & -t & -t & U \end{array} \right][/itex]

(2). Grouping the single occupation states into one singlet state:
[itex]| \psi \rangle = a_1 | \uparrow\downarrow , 0 \rangle + a_2 / \sqrt{2} ( | \uparrow , \downarrow \rangle + | \downarrow , \uparrow \rangle ) + a_3 | 0 , \uparrow\downarrow \rangle[/itex]
with [itex]H = \left[
\begin{array}{cccc} U & -\sqrt{2}t & 0 \\ -\sqrt{2}t & 0 & -\sqrt{2}t \\ 0 & -\sqrt{2}t & U \end{array} \right][/itex]

The two solutions return the same eigenenergies and states, except (1). has an additional state {0,-1,1,0} with eigenvalue {0}.

For this example it's not so important, but if I do the same on a triple quantum dot, I get more additional eigenstates for method (1). The eigenvalues of these additional states correspond to the eigenvalues I get if I model the system with parallel spins.

For larger systems, this starts to matter with regards to which eigenstate is the lowest energy state, and to replicate ground states in literature I would have to use (2). So what am I doing wrong in (1).?

The state you have written for 2 is not a spin singlet, it is a spin triplet. The triplet is higher in energy, the ground state should be a spin singlet. If you carry out 1. The triplet will have a zero eigenvalue which is correct.

However If you are considering the large U limit the two doubly occupied states are much higher in energy than the others, so you would want to use the effective Hamiltonian method to project onto the subspace of the lower energy states.

1. What is the Hubbard model and why is it important in studying singlets?

The Hubbard model is a simplified theoretical model used to study the behavior of interacting particles, such as electrons, in a solid material. It is important in the study of singlets because it allows us to understand the effects of electron-electron interactions, which are crucial in determining the properties of singlet states.

2. How are singlets treated in the Hubbard model?

In the Hubbard model, singlets are treated as pairs of electrons that are occupying the same energy level, with opposite spin orientations. This is known as a spin-singlet state. The model takes into account the repulsive interactions between these paired electrons, which can significantly affect the overall behavior of the system.

3. What are the challenges in treating singlets in the Hubbard model?

One of the main challenges in treating singlets in the Hubbard model is accurately capturing the effects of electron-electron interactions. These interactions can be quite complex and difficult to model, and their effects on the system can vary depending on factors such as temperature and the strength of the interactions. Additionally, the Hubbard model is a simplified model and may not fully capture all the nuances of real materials.

4. How can the Hubbard model be used to study singlets in real materials?

The Hubbard model can be used to study singlets in real materials by comparing its predictions to experimental data. By adjusting parameters in the model, such as the strength of electron-electron interactions, researchers can try to match the model's predictions to the behavior of real materials. This allows for a better understanding of the role of singlets in these materials and can lead to the discovery of new properties and phenomena.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding the treatment of singlets in the Hubbard model?

Understanding the treatment of singlets in the Hubbard model can have various applications in the fields of materials science and condensed matter physics. For example, it can help in the development of new materials with desired properties, such as high-temperature superconductors. It can also aid in the design of more efficient electronic devices, as well as in the study of quantum computing and other emerging technologies.