1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizing a square matrix with degenerate eigenvalues

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    Hi

This is more of a math question but in the context of Quantum Mechanics, hence I posted it here. Suppose I have a matrix A of order 3x3 with three eigenvalues: 0, 0, 5. I am supposed to find the diagonalizing matrix for A.

I know that in general, if P denotes the matrix of eigenvectors of A, then [itex]PAP^{-1}[/itex] will be a diagonal matrix.

In my particular example, for the eigenvalue 0,

AX = 0

gives infinitely many solutions for X, so the eigenvector with eigenvalue 0 cannot be uniquely determined.

How do I diagonalize such a matrix?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
    Vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

There are infinitely many different eigenvectors for an eigenvalue, but are they all linearly independent? Remember that you only need 3 linearly independent eigenvectors for this. Just pick a simple eigenvector associated with the zero eigenvalue.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    Ok, lets say I take (1, 0, 0)' and (0, 1, 0)' as the eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue. And then I just plug them along with the eigenvector for the eigenvalue 5...and thats it, right?

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well, that's provided you "plug them in" correctly, doesn't it?

6. Aug 3, 2008 #5
    Yes, as the problem asks to find the diagonalizing matrix, I was wondering what to write as the eigenvectors are not uniquely determined here. By "plug them in", I meant that I construct a matrix P whose columns are precisely the Linearly independent eigenvectors of the matrix A...in this case I select two Linearly independent eigenvectors for the zero eigenvalue and the third column is the eigenvector for the eigenvalue 5.

Thanks for your help Defennder :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?