1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagram to represent heat capacity?

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    1. How do I draw a diagram to demonstrate why motor oil has a higher specific heat capacity than water?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2
    what you can do is just draw graphs of specific heat of different materials, and hence then through it represent that above ........

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    Our teacher decided that we need a diagram to go along with every experiment write up, as well as a graph.

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4
    What kind of a diagram?

6. Jun 23, 2012 #5
    Just a simple diagram to demonstrate what is happening/why. I know the heat capacity is related to the ability of the material to store the heat energy as potential energy rather than kinetic energy, but i'm not sure how to illustrate it.

7. Jun 23, 2012 #6
    No, thats false.

8. Jun 23, 2012 #7
    Can you explain what actually determines it then?

9. Jun 23, 2012 #8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity

"Heat capacity (usually denoted by a capital C, often with subscripts), or thermal capacity, is the measurable physical quantity that characterizes the amount of heat required to change a substance's temperature by a given amount."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook