Diamond Ring in Front of a Convex Lens?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
itsgood819
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.5 cm high diamond ring is placed 20 cm in front of a convex lens whose radius of curvature is 30 cm.

a) What is the position and the size of the image?
b) What magnification does this lens have?

Homework Equations



1/f= 1/di + 1/do
m= -di/do or hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution



the 20 cm is do, and the ho is 1.5 cm. Since it's a lens, I don't know the focal length. I tried using the 1/f= 1/di + 1/do, but I don't any variable besides the do.

How would I solve this problem? Help please, and thank you! Also, I'm new to this forum so my posting might look a bit weird.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a double convex lens with both sides having the same radius of curvature? If so, you can use the lens maker's formula to figure out the focal length.
 
Because, the index of refraction of the lens material is not given, I would assume that f=R/2.
 
thank you for your suggestions! it turns out that my teacher actually meant to put mirror instead of lens.
 
itsgood819 said:
it turns out that my teacher actually meant to put mirror instead of lens.
Aha! Now the problem makes sense. :wink: