Splitting of a convex lens problem

In summary, the distance between the virtual images is the gap along y-axis and the magnification is 2.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A thin convex lens of focal length 20 cm is split into two parts along the principal axis, now there is a 2mm gap between the top and bottom parts, an object O is placed at 10 cm from the lens, the distance between the two virtual images will be?

Homework Equations

1/v - 1/u =1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Cutting along principal axis, focal length remains same. Using lens formula I got v= -20, I think this will then act as an object but using this value gives v2=infinity which isn't correct- how do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
v = -20 for the upper half, or for the lower half ? :rolleyes:
Make a sketch ...

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
the distance between the two virtual images
What do you think this refers to? In which direction is this distance?

BvU said:
v = -20 for the upper half, or for the lower half ? :rolleyes:
Make a sketch ...
haruspex said:
What do you think this refers to? In which direction is this distance?
Ok, so the distance is the gap along y-axis The magnification is 2 but I'm confused whether the base of the two images will be on the old principal axis or along the horizontal line containing the straight horizontal part of the half-lens. I suppose if it were on the old axis, there'd be no distance so it has been shifted along with the lens which would give the answer as 2mm but how these images are getting separated just isn't clicking in my mind and I'm having trouble even trying to think how to make a sketch

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Ok, so the distance is the gap along y-axis
You don't give us a clue what axis that is.
You also don't post a sketch for good reasons:
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I'm having trouble even trying to think how to make a sketch
because I suspect you can't make sense of
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
is split into two parts along the principal axis
So let's start with a sketch of the situation before the splitting. Can you post that and make clear what the principal axis is ?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
whether the base of the two images will be on the old principal axis or along the horizontal line containing the straight horizontal part of the half-lens.
Or maybe neither.
If you follow a ray from where the object sits on the principal axis through the middle of the lens, where does it meet the image?
When the lens is split there are two copies of the old middle. If you now draw the rays to each of these points, where do they meet the respective images?

1. What is the "splitting of a convex lens" problem?

The splitting of a convex lens problem refers to the phenomenon of a single convex lens creating multiple images of an object placed in front of it. This occurs due to the refraction of light through the lens, causing the rays to converge and diverge at different points, resulting in multiple images.

2. Why does the splitting of a convex lens occur?

The splitting of a convex lens occurs because the lens is curved, causing the light rays passing through it to bend and intersect at different points. This creates multiple focal points, resulting in the creation of multiple images.

3. How can the splitting of a convex lens be minimized?

The splitting of a convex lens can be minimized by using a lens with a larger radius of curvature, as this will cause the light rays to bend less and converge at a single focal point. Additionally, using a lens with a smaller diameter can also help reduce splitting.

4. What factors can affect the splitting of a convex lens?

The splitting of a convex lens can be affected by the curvature of the lens, the diameter of the lens, and the refractive index of the material the lens is made of. Additionally, the distance between the object and the lens, as well as the wavelength of light, can also impact the splitting phenomenon.

5. How is the splitting of a convex lens used in practical applications?

The splitting of a convex lens is used in various practical applications, such as in optical instruments like telescopes and microscopes, where it allows for the magnification and creation of multiple images. It is also used in 3D glasses, where two images are projected onto a single screen, and the lenses in the glasses split the images for each eye, creating a 3D effect.