Diamond vs. glass -- thermal properties

In summary: The properties of diamonds depend on the particular type of diamond, but generally, they are good heat conductors. They also have a high melting point, so they can withstand high temperatures.
Lacplesis
Hi, I was reading up on the properties on various materials but never quite found out what I was looking for.
My question is this , I found out an explanation why diamond is the best thermal conductor even though its not a metal and why other materials that would be similar to diamond like glass are poor conductors of heat , I just want to make sure so I'll ask here , is diamonds heat capabilities because of its perfect crystalline atomic structure ?
I'm sure metals were good thermal conductors for the same reason that they are good electric conductors which is free electrons is it the same for diamonds?

My other question is this , I've been reading about molten salt reactors and the materials that have been put forth as possible primary salt or fissile core materials for a two fluid/salt thorium breeder, obviously for any molten salt reactor especially a two fluid design the material separating the two salts would have to withstand very high neutron flux and heat , but since the fissile core produces heat which needs to be transported to the turbine via conducting fluids (water/gas) the material separating the salts also needs to be fairly good at heat conduction.So far materials like Hastalloy-n and graphite have been suggested , so I was wondering what about diamond for example?
Now I do understand the economic problems that would make but from a purely scientific perspective , diamond has a high melting point and is a good thermal conductor , how it behaves under intense neutron environment?
what about glass , maybe some special doped one , its much worse at heat conduction but then again maybe it can be split into multiple smaller tubes located closely,

I would love to hear some information about these materials properties under such environments as this topic got me interested.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lacplesis said:
I'm sure metals were good thermal conductors for the same reason that they are good electric conductors which is free electrons is it the same for diamonds?
Diamond does not have free electrons as metals do (although I'm not sure if free is the best word to describe them- my chem teacher called it a "sea of mobile electrons" that surround the metal cations). Diamond is a covalent network solid made up of an immense number of Carbon atoms bonded to each other, forming one giant molecule.

Well I was looking for some information also on how well different materials withstand neutron flux and heat combined , I was thinking what is the neutron endurance for glass or various types of glass for example , I couldn't find such info elsewhere?
is there any type of glass whose thermal conduction is better than that of ordinary glass which is quite poor ?

what about diamonds neutron properties how well does it stand up with respect to such known neutron shields and moderators as graphite or boron?

What is the difference in thermal conductivity between diamond and glass?

Diamond has a much higher thermal conductivity than glass. Diamond has a thermal conductivity of 1000-2500 W/mK, while glass typically has a thermal conductivity of 0.8-1.5 W/mK.

How does the thermal expansion coefficient of diamond compare to that of glass?

Diamond has a very low thermal expansion coefficient, meaning it expands very little when heated. Glass, on the other hand, has a much higher thermal expansion coefficient, meaning it expands significantly when heated.

Which material is better at conducting heat: diamond or glass?

Diamond is a much better conductor of heat than glass due to its high thermal conductivity. This makes diamond ideal for applications where heat needs to be transferred quickly and efficiently.

Why is diamond used in high-temperature applications instead of glass?

Diamond's high thermal conductivity and low thermal expansion coefficient make it ideal for use in high-temperature applications. Glass, on the other hand, may crack or shatter under high temperatures due to its lower thermal properties.

Do diamond and glass have similar melting points?

No, diamond and glass have very different melting points. Diamond has a melting point of 3820 degrees Celsius, while glass has a much lower melting point of around 600-800 degrees Celsius.