Diamonds vs Wood: Proving the Unprovable

• Thread starter wooddiamonds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary, the OP has a different idea of what a blade can do than the rest of us. The diamond axe blade wouldn't work at all and would be inferior to a metal axe.
wooddiamonds
I think my friend is messing with me. He says it is common knowledge that diamonds do not cut wood. I know that if I had the money and I made an ax with a diamond head and made it razor sharp and made an ax from carbon steel with an equally sharp blade, the diamond one would cut better and never get dull. I would die 1000 times before having to resharpen it. I've never been more certain of anything that I can't readily prove. But I can't do anything to convince him of this. Help me exorcise this demon from his soul.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hell, I sent that already. That's not explicit and concise enough.

A diamond blade can " cut" wood. The practical use of this blade in this application is not good. Diamond blades cost much more than metal blades for this application. Additionally, the waste material removal with metal blades is much better and the resultant "cut" is a much better cut with minimal lost of material. From strictly an economic point of view, the metal blade is the way to go. I suspect diamond blade maintenance is higher as well. Example- you can " cut" aluminum with a bench grinder but I don't recommend it.

I think the OP has a very different idea of a blade than is being described by everyone else.

It's not that a diamond can't cut wood, beucase of course it can. However a diamond axe blade just wouldn't work at all, diamond is brittle, brittle things do not like impacts. If you hit a tree trunk with an axe head made of diamond it would shatter. A plastic axe head (made from an engineering plastic) would likely be more effective than a diamond one. Both would still be inferior to steel.

Diamond cutting tools ususally work by abrasion, not a cutting action. So saws, grinders, holecutters etc. They are also used only for cutting things that are hard or abrasive. So you wouldn't even typically use a diamond tool for wood.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
Sorry to pee on your bonfire.

HAHAHA!:smile:

Thats so much better than "Sorry to rain on your parade".

Related to Diamonds vs Wood: Proving the Unprovable

1. What is the purpose of the experiment comparing diamonds and wood?

The purpose of the experiment is to determine the physical properties and characteristics of diamonds and wood and compare them to see how they differ and if one material is superior to the other in any way.

2. How will the experiment be conducted?

The experiment will involve conducting various tests and measurements on both diamonds and wood, such as hardness, density, and conductivity. These results will then be compared and analyzed to draw conclusions about the differences between the two materials.

3. What are the expected results of the experiment?

The expected results of the experiment are that diamonds will be found to be more durable and have a higher hardness and density compared to wood. However, wood may have better thermal conductivity and be more environmentally friendly than diamonds.

4. What are the potential limitations of the experiment?

One potential limitation of the experiment is that it may not take into account all possible factors that could affect the properties of diamonds and wood, such as variations in quality or environmental conditions. Additionally, the results may not be applicable to all types of diamonds and wood, as there can be variations within each material.

5. How can the results of the experiment be useful?

The results of the experiment can be useful in providing a better understanding of the differences between diamonds and wood and their unique properties. This information can be used in various industries, such as jewelry making and construction, to make informed decisions about which material is best suited for a particular use.