Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dickey Fuller Test Sine Wave or seasonallity

1. Aug 27, 2014 #1
    Hi can someone please clarify info regarding the application and validity of the Dickey Fuller test.

If I perform the test using a sine wave would I be required to somehow take into account the seasonality. From my understanding a sine wave is non stationary, using the matlab command below I receive a value for hd of 1 and therefore can reject the unit root hypothesis and thus the signal is stationary, does this make sense? I have searched for answers to no avail.

[hd pValue]=adftest(sin(0:0.1:300));

In general I have some pseudo oscillatory data and do not know if I need to pre-process the data to remove seasonality before performing this test? If someone could enlighten me on the amount of lags I am required to keep that would also be great.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 4, 2014 #3
    such as?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook