Did Bush really say these things? :O

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
Interesting, I was just studying the nice map provided by outcast and it seems that Gore actually won quite a lot of counties in Texas! Anybody else find that quite interesting??

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not very. Thoses are the border counties with a high latino concentration. You would expect them to vote Left.

"No, he [Bush] won 5.9% of the vote, as the stats make clear. "

I'm sure I don't understand this, Monique. Could you explain ?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
"No, he [Bush] won 5.9% of the vote, as the stats make clear. "

I'm sure I don't understand this, Monique. Could you explain ?
127 million people voted for Gore
143 million people voted for Bush
you do the math :P

Gokul43201 Our election is based on The Electoral College System and not the popular vote.

In fact, it is possible for a candidate to not get a single person's vote -- not one -- in 39 states or the District of Columbia, yet be elected president by wining the popular vote in just 11 of these 12 states:

California
New York
Texas
Florida
Pennsylvania
Illinois
Ohio
Michigan
New Jersey
North Carolina
Georgia
Virginia

Has a presidential candidate ever lost the nationwide popular vote but been elected president in the Electoral College? Yes, three times:

# In 1876 there were a total of 369 electoral votes available with 185 needed to win. Republican Rutherford B. Hayes, with 4,036,298 popular votes won 185 electoral votes. His main opponent, Democrat Samuel J. Tilden, won the popular vote with 4,300,590 votes, but won only 184 electoral votes. Hayes was elected president.

# In 1888 there were a total of 401 electoral votes available with 201 needed to win. Republican Benjamin Harrison, with 5,439,853 popular votes won 233 electoral votes. His main opponent, Democrat Grover Cleveland, won the popular vote with 5,540,309 votes, but won only 168 electoral votes. Harrison was elected president.

# In 2000 there were a total of 538 electoral votes available with 270 needed to win. Republican George W. Bush, with 50,456,002 popular votes won 271 electoral votes. His Democratic opponent, Al Gore, won the popular vote with 50,999,897 votes, but won only 266 electoral votes. Bush was elected president. The Electoral College System

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, you mean't Bush won by 5.9% over Gore. Je comprends :smile:

Actually, there were some people that voted for the Green Party - about 5% or so. That makes the margin a little smaller.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Outcast said:
Gokul43201 Our election is based on The Electoral College System and not the popular vote.
Thank you for teaching me about the Electoral College. It's where the voters go after Electoral High School, right ? Now I understand everything.

And perhaps you have me confused with waste, who said that the people determine the President. I was going to point out that they really don't, and that it's the EC that does.

Hmmm...so how does your big, red map reflect the electoral votes ? :grumpy:

(except for small variations, one can use that map for population density...like this one below)

[url]http://www.cast.uark.edu/local/catalog/national/images/maps/Population.dir/USpop1990.gif[/url]

Is there a correlation between intelligence and the density of population where you live ? I do think there is :tongue2:

russ_watters
Mentor
Monique said:
No, he won 5.9% of the vote, as the stats make clear. No, 16 million more people voted for Bush than Gore.
Are you missing the word "by" in that first sentence?

Anyway, its interesting that by population (voting and non-voting) Bush had more people than Gore. I've never thought about it before, but if you have kids, should you get an extra vote...?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
Anyway, its interesting that by population (voting and non-voting) Bush had more people than Gore.
I'll bet he has Utah to thank for some of that. :biggrin: What's their birth-rate like ?

russ_watters said:
if you have kids, should you get an extra vote...?
This is ridiculous, nobody ever implied that, because kids are not supposed to understand politics, so it has been established they have no right to vote. You perfecly understand the point without needing any explanation.

In indirect systems, it may occur that the elected president was chosen by only a minority of people having the right to give their vote.

Did any one need this clarification ?

This is the very basis of democraty by the way. Democratic systems are already not perfect. There is no need to flaw them even more by introducing several levels in the election process.

What is this doing in GD ?

humanino said:
Is there a correlation between intelligence and the density of population where you live ? I do think there is :tongue2:
Gee it that's true, them maybe I should have gone to prison instead of college.
:rofl: http://www.coursework.info/i/41627.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Outcast said:
Overcrowding prisons has been an rising issue in American society.
:rofl:
One has plenty of time to study there :uhh:

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
humanino said:
This is ridiculous, nobody ever implied that, because kids are not supposed to understand politics, so it has been established they have no right to vote.
Should adults who don't understand politics also have no vote then ?

:tongue2: :tongue2:

cheers,
Patrick.

I guess, they could dice-vote. That would be better. :tongue2:

vanesch said:

I've always been against voting for that very reason.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
vanesch said:

cheers,
Patrick.
They have a statistically accepted capability to understand the impact of their vote. That some choose not to, is a different matter.

Back to Bushisms, here's the latest :

"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2004

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —George W. Bush, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

Here's the video :

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.buzzflash.com%2F04%2F09%2Fbushlove.wmv [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done "They misunderestimated me!" yet?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That has now gone beyond the limited realm of a Bushism, and is gradually making it's way into mainstream English. Soon everyone will be misunderestimating like crazy. :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
That has now gone beyond the limited realm of a Bushism, and is gradually making it's way into mainstream English. Soon everyone will be misunderestimating like crazy. :tongue2:
thats pretty daft aint it, i usualy miunderestimated my opponants in hockey, the only reason i'm better is that they misunderestimate me far worse, hehe