What did President Bush say about Syria and Hezbollah?
- Thread starter Rach3
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Mattara
- 347
- 1
For some reason, I hear someone saying "oh god" in the end of the tape.
Rach3
Another slip from the same conversation - seems Rice is going to the M.E. after all.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5188258.stmBush: Yeah I think Condi's [US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice) going to go soon.
Blair: Well that's all that matters but if you... You see at least it gets it going.
Bush: I agree it's a process...I told her your offer too.
Blair: Well it's only if she needs the ground prepared as it were. If she goes out she HAS to succeed whereas I can just go and...
Rach3
Tony knits?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5188258.stmBush: And thanks for the sweaters - I know you picked em out yourself...
Blair: Oh yes absolutely - in fact I knitted it!
Rach3
I think we should have more microphones. I think everyone would benefit if there were hidden microphones surrounding all politicans and ministers, than we'd always know what they're thinking.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Well, it would appear that the problem is that they don't.How diplomats think
He's probably correct though."The irony is, what they really need to do is to get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this sh**, and it's over," Mr Bush was heard to say.
The moral of this story is - watch what you say in front of a microphone - no telling who's listening.
Rach3
What is it with Bush and expletives? I suppose it might be an outlet for someone with very poor communication skills.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,706
- 1,592
Rach, saying **** in a private conversation isn't really an expletive... most people say crap like that (see? right there) just as a way of identifying the worthlessness of the object at hand
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
Rach3 said:What is it with Bush and expletives? (snip)
Same thing as with FDR, Harry, Ike, "John-John," Lyndon, Nixon, Jerry, Jimmy, RR, Bush 41, and Willy --- and, their predecessors, and, their successors yet to win office --- concise communication.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Well, Nixon used expletives. Lots of people use expletives in private, but not in public.Rach3 said:What is it with Bush and expletives? I suppose it might be an outlet for someone with very poor communication skills.
Politicians will say one thing in private, and something completely different in public - I've seen it first hand.
Reagan is famous for his on-air blooper "My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." He was 'joking' during a mike check before a radio broadcast, but it was caught on tape and aired. It caused a slight panic.
What you see now is Bush's true side, which is normally kept out of the public spotlight.
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
Listening to the clip, I see nothing wrong with what he said. Whats the big deal?
I must say, you always put spin in your threads Rach.
I must say, you always put spin in your threads Rach.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
On the contrary, I think expletives often get used when the speaker has no idea what he's talking about and an expletive serves the role of substitute for a more precise description.Bystander said:concise communication.
A: What's the situation like in the ME right now?
B: Real sh**ty!
A: Oh, thanks for that mindumbingly concise insight!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Well, B is probably correct.Gokul43201 said:A: What's the situation like in the ME right now?
B: Real sh**ty!
A: Oh, thanks for that mindumbingly concise insight!
Given the context - the personal conversation between Blair and Bush, I think Blair probably understood Bush's point. Bush wasn't talking to the public - he was talking to a colleague and an apparent friend.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
Gokul43201 said:On the contrary, I think expletives often get used when the speaker has no idea what he's talking about and an expletive serves the role of substitute for a more precise description.
A: What's the situation like in the ME right now?
B: Real sh**ty!
A: Oh, thanks for that mindumbingly concise insight!
If "A" has been in a state of suspended animation for the past 8ka, it might be necessary to furnish more detail; likewise, Aztecs, Incas, or other pre-Columbian Americans snatched with a time machine would require an "orientation." As it is, it's a little difficult to avoid familiarity with the roots of the conflict, perfect understanding of what's necessary to resolve the conflict, and full awareness that no one on the planet at the moment is going to take any of those necessary steps.
The ME is a "losen" scenario for everyone with a stake in the region (that's the whole world) --- face, lives, congregations, money, oil, commerce, trade routes, resources, markets --- all up in smoke over the usual "sh*t."
A': Same ol' sh*t.
B': What 'r we going to do?
A': Same ol' sh*t --- let the Israelis look like Ghengis at Samarkand, or Martel at Tours, or Vlad --- but, stop em' before they actually accomplish what has to be done eventually.
"Sh*t" is a perfect descriptor for the situation, its history, and its future. Perfectly clear and "concise."
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
Gokul43201 said:On the contrary, I think expletives often get used when the speaker has no idea what he's talking about and an expletive serves the role of substitute for a more precise description.
A: What's the situation like in the ME right now?
B: Real sh**ty!
A: Oh, thanks for that mindumbingly concise insight!
Huh? I think both speaks in the conversation obviously knew what was going on in the ME. You're statement is a stretch.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
I guess I didn't get the idea across well enough, but "A" would have been me, after not getting the news for 24 hours.cyrusabdollahi said:Huh? I think both speaks in the conversation obviously knew what was going on in the ME. You're statement is a stretch.
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
Sure, but he was not giving a speech. Everyone uses a curse word once in a while when talking casually to a friend.
Similar threads
- pelastration
- · Replies 11 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 11
- Evo
- · Replies 27 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 27