Did Einstein accept the Ether

OOOOH! How irrational!

Originally posted by Andy
OOOOH! How irrational!
Andy, I suspect you should apologize to the entire forum, as clearly you have misled all of us as to just what your real age is, cause it is really clear you are little more then a very young child!!

no, i think you should apolagise to everyone here for being such a boring old fart.

no, i think you should apolagise to everyone here for being such a boring old fart.
To everyone, "My apologies to you all" for andy, thinking this way, not really his fault, (I suppose) born that way. (I guess)

Aside from that, Andy, got anything to contribute to the "Ether" discussion? NO! I thought as much.

No i have nothing about Ether to add to this discussion because i dont pretend to know what im talking about.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So, personalities aside, let's review the bidding on Einstein and the ether.

Einstein has definitely written that the ether he talks about is not the ether that was part of physics before relativity. Einstein says he believes that ether was undone by special relativity.

Einstein has also defined the ether he talks about in terms that make it clearly the spacetime/gravity field of his General Relativity. Not a mechanical or kinematical thing itself, but codetermining mechanical efects.

Mr. Robin Parsons is of course free to disregard this or to put some special private meaning upon what seem to me to be Einstein's plain words. but for me it seems that the canard that Einstein accepted the ether after 1919 has definitely been shown to be false.

From this site......
http://www.keelynet.com/energy/comefrom.txt

this quotation of Albert Einstein....

Originally stated by Einstein(?)
Albert EINSTElN: ""There are weighty arguments to be adduced in favor of the ether hypothesis. To deny the ether is ultimately to assume that empty space has no physical qualities whatever, The fundamental facts of mechanics do not harmonize with this view According to the General Theory of Relativity, space is endowed with physical qualities ; in this sense, therefore, there exists an ether According to the General Theory of Relativity space without ether is unthinkable. ."
Noted as; "The above quote by Dr. Albert Einstein was published in 1920, based on Einstein's speech at the University of Leiden, Holland, (May 5, 1920)."

Followed by; Einstein himself has gone on record stating on his 70th birthday .

Originally stated by Einstein
"Now you think that I am looking back at my life's work with calm satisfaction. But, on closer look, it is quite different. There is not a single concept of which I am convinced that it will stand firm and I am not sure if I was on the right track after all:"
Which, personally, I dislike (as a quote of him) as he is no longer here to defend himself.

No i have nothing about Ether to add to this discussion because i dont pretend to know what im talking about.
LOL ad infinitum

(Does that mean that you admit to what you don't know??? Ha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaw........)

That means that if i dont know whats being talked about i either say or sit back and keep my mouth shut until i have a grasp of what is being talked about. I dont get involved in arguements when i dont have some knowledge of whats being argued about.

That means that if i dont know whats being talked about i either say or sit back and keep my mouth shut until i have a grasp of what is being talked about. I dont get involved in arguements when i dont have some knowledge of whats being argued about.

HAhahahahahaha + [oo]

Fvck you Fvck you Fvck you Fvck you Fvck you Fvck you + [oo]

Originally posted by andy
**Volountarily censored due to PF policies** (by me!)

A Prime example of someones intellect, and/or the complete lack thereof, as evidenced by the inability to find any other manner of expressiveness, other then those silly, trite, childish, words!!

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I didn't quote your post on Einstein citaions because it's long. But I can say a couple of things about it.

I completely agree with the first quotation. Einstein firmly believed that his gravitational field defined spacetime. He often wrote that there is no spacetime* without the field. By this he didn't just mean "spacetime is full of the field" he meant "where the field is not, there is no spacetime". everything that we take to be spacetime is really just the field. This is his aether.

Note that the occasion of your quote is the same speech that I abstracted from in my first reply to you. Before giving the description of his aether (he is responsible for the a) which you reproduce, he said that it doesn't have any mechanical or kinematical proerties. If the two of us can agree that that speech represents Einstein's views - the whole speach not just our separate pieces of it (blind men and the elephant), then there is no further disagreement.

I firmly agree with you about the second quote. This is just what creators feel as death approaches - everything they have made seems to be trivial or incorrect. cf. Newton and the child at the beach.

* Einstein commonly wrote "space" for what we should call "spacetime". We know this because he would sometimes add a footnote like "in the sense of Minkowsi".

And i suppose hahahahaha isnt childish? especially with the big bright font that you used.

And i suppose hahahahaha isnt childish? especially with the big bright font that you used.
No, it isn't childish, it is childlike....HUGE difference!

Eh

I think I'm going to have a seizure....