Did Rindler coin the term "Event Horizon"?

In summary, it is believed that Wolfgang Rindler coined the term "event horizon" in his 1956 paper and it was also used in his thesis. This information is supported by reliable sources and has been credited by Weinberg. Further details may be found in Rindler's thesis.
PhysicistMike
I'm looking for proof that Wolfgang Rindler coined the term Event Horizon. I believe that it was Rindler because that's what I've heard from reliable sources, e.g.
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath339/kmath339.htm
Weinberg uses Rindler's definition. In fact, he credits Rindler with having coined the term "event horizon" [and "particle horizon"] in a 1956 paper.

Thank you in advance.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I found out that it was indeed Rindler that coined that term. I think he coined it in his thesis. If anybody is interested in this then I'll get back with the details. Otherwise thanks for your help anyway.

Yes, I'd love to know the details if you find out!

atyy said:
Yes, I'd love to know the details if you find out!
So far, as I understand it, it was in his Thesis.

Last edited:

I can confirm that Wolfgang Rindler is credited with coining the term "event horizon" in his 1956 paper. This term refers to the boundary in spacetime beyond which events cannot be observed or affected by an outside observer. Rindler's definition has been widely used and referenced in the scientific community, including by renowned physicist Steven Weinberg. Therefore, it is safe to say that Rindler is indeed the originator of the term "event horizon."

1. Is Rindler the first person to use the term "Event Horizon"?

No, Rindler is not the first person to use the term "Event Horizon". The term was actually first used by the physicist Wolfgang Rindler in 1956 to describe the boundary surrounding a black hole, but it was later popularized by the astronomer John Wheeler in the 1960s.

2. What is the definition of "Event Horizon"?

The "Event Horizon" is the theoretical boundary surrounding a black hole, within which the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. It marks the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole.

3. Was Rindler the first person to theorize about black holes?

No, Rindler was not the first person to theorize about black holes. The concept of black holes has been around since the late 18th century, and the first mathematical solutions for black holes were developed by Karl Schwarzschild in 1916. However, Rindler's use of the term "Event Horizon" helped to popularize the concept.

4. How did Rindler come up with the term "Event Horizon"?

Rindler came up with the term "Event Horizon" while studying the effects of accelerating particles in a vacuum. He noticed that the particles would eventually reach a point where their escape velocity would exceed the speed of light, creating a boundary he called the "Event Horizon". He later applied this concept to black holes.

5. Is Rindler's definition of "Event Horizon" still accurate?

Yes, Rindler's definition of "Event Horizon" is still accurate and widely accepted in the scientific community. However, there have been some refinements and additions to the concept over the years, such as the discovery of supermassive black holes and the understanding of how black holes can emit radiation. But the basic idea of a boundary beyond which nothing can escape remains the same.