Did the Big Bang follow multiple bangs? How did matter come to collide?

In summary: BB have been attracted to the point of explosion?)In summary, the article addresses misconceptions about the Big Bang, such as the idea that there was an explosion from a central point. It presents a more accurate and nuanced view of the event, explaining that the universe does not have a center and that the term "explosion" is misleading.
DaveC426913 said:
A singularity can contain a whole lot of things

No, it can't. A singularity can't "contain" anything since it's not part of the manifold at all.

Likes jbriggs444
Space news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
No, it can't. A singularity can't "contain" anything since it's not part of the manifold at all.
OK, I was sloppy.

Oriel was suggesting a singularity** is "nothing".

The singularity at the centre of a black hole is beyond our current physics, yet the mass of the BH is in there and is felt outside the BH.

So that's not nothing; it's simply physics we can't model yet.

** there may be a nuance here, between 'Big Bang singularity' and 'BH singularity' that has slipped through the cracks.

(*see sig line)

DaveC426913 said:
Oriel was suggesting a singularity** is "nothing".

I'm not sure his suggestions were even that coherent. But in any case, he is no longer posting and his posts do not require any further response.

DaveC426913 said:
The singularity at the centre of a black hole is beyond our current physics, yet the mass of the BH is in there

No, it isn't. The mass of the black hole is a geometric property of the spacetime. It is not located at any particular place.

Furthermore, the singularity (both inside a black hole and at the beginning of idealized FRW models in cosmology) is not a "place". It's spacelike, so it's a moment of time. So it's not the kind of thing mass, or anything else, can be located at.

DaveC426913 said:
it's simply physics we can't model yet

This is pretty much the current mainstream opinion, yes. But it should not be confused with other statements about singularities that are misconceptions, which I have tried to clear up.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Vanadium 50 and DaveC426913
@phinds:

Yes, but I don't have a TV and (Covid-19 era aside) I read books by scientists, not just science writers. A book that's 200-300 pages tends to have more depth than a 30-minute TV show. A book is for a more selective audience. TV is for the millions, averaged.

A trap is in judging the quality of a source by its conclusions. Sometimes, yes, choosing what we agree with can be informative. But better to rely on agreement with starting points and logic; but that's more difficult.

Math is anathema to most lay readers, so editors counsel scientists away from it, too often for my taste.

Undergraduate and graduate texts tend not to be available in public libraries. One librarian said if they buy them they tend to get questioned by management, apparently because school libraries get them, so it would be duplicative. I think they're also more expensive and perhaps get stolen more. Interlibrary loan can get them but with more limited renewals; and my local library won't spend more than $15 to borrow an ILL book, so nothing can come from Harvard etc.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
I blame string theory. Something happened in the 6 dimensions we can't see.

Nick Levinson said:
@phinds:

Yes, but I don't have a TV and (Covid-19 era aside) I read books by scientists, not just science writers. A book that's 200-300 pages tends to have more depth than a 30-minute TV show. A book is for a more selective audience. TV is for the millions, averaged.

A trap is in judging the quality of a source by its conclusions. Sometimes, yes, choosing what we agree with can be informative. But better to rely on agreement with starting points and logic; but that's more difficult.

Math is anathema to most lay readers, so editors counsel scientists away from it, too often for my taste.

Undergraduate and graduate texts tend not to be available in public libraries. One librarian said if they buy them they tend to get questioned by management, apparently because school libraries get them, so it would be duplicative. I think they're also more expensive and perhaps get stolen more. Interlibrary loan can get them but with more limited renewals; and my local library won't spend more than $15 to borrow an ILL book, so nothing can come from Harvard etc.
Feyneman Lecture Notes on Physics is one of the best. I believe its a free download from an archive.

DaveC426913 said:
Hang on.

A singularity can contain a whole lot of things in large amounts. Mass for example. That's not nothing.

And it's not the same thing as infinite.
No. It is the equation that defines the the singularity that includes the mass. Take a neutron, it has a location as a point. The point is defined by the neuton's wave function and interacts at action potential, based on that wavefunction, with other particles. Most atoms have an interaction area with neutrons by a few barns (an area measure), but 10Boron is 9000 barns and 157Gadolinium is 254,000 barns. Mass whose representation is gravity, but gravity is not a force, it is a field. It is the efect of mass warping space-time. We assume that mass pre-blackhole collapsed in a singularity. But the only thing we can observe is effects in the event horizon. Any conjectures as to the effects of a black hole is to the other 6 dimensions of string theory?

shjacks45 said:
Take a neutron, it has a location as a point. The point is defined by the neuton's wave function

This is not correct. The neutron's wave function does not define a single point location for the neutron; such a wave function, while it can be modeled mathematically, is not physically realizable. A physically realizable wave function will define a wave packet, which does not define a single location.

@phinds:

Thank you for the links. The authorship is sound. They state more than I can absorb anytime soon, but that's fine, and there's not much that authors can do about it, intellectually. Simply making them briefer leads to more questions. An unexplained term can be looked up. While I hesitate to read science publications older than 10 years unless I know enough of what's newer to recognize what's out of date, maybe space sciences can tolerate a longer period; 10 is somewhat arbitrary on my part.

If you have time to update your page: The page needing Java won't work anymore in many well-known browsers, but the rest of the page is interesting, so may be citable without the Java. A dead link can be replaced with one to the Wayback Machine (archive.org) if you don't mind that the author no longer maintains the page; this applies to the 2-page URL and to the primer.

@Motore: Re my last post being smiley-marked for skepticism: I wish I knew what you're skeptical about; then I could respond.