Did your parents influence your education

• Thread starter nikola-tesla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, my father had a big, big influence on me and I can say that because of his interests for me, I am very good in mathematics and tech courses, and probably unconsciously, that's why I am studying Electrical Engineering.
nikola-tesla
For example; my father did have a big, big influence on me. I can say because of my father's interests for me I am very good in mathematics and tech courses and probably unconsciously that's why I am studying Electrical Engineering?
As far as I can remember from grade 1 my dad worked on math problems with me and my dad was showing me all electrical/electronic tools in our basement.

So I was just wondering if your parents had such influences on you or if they were great supporters for your studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
My parents know nuts about physics or engineering. For me, somehow along the way I figured that this was what I'm good at and more importantly, this is what I enjoy doing. It'd be kind of great if your parents helped you discover that, but even if they didn't hopefully everybody will get chances to discover and realize their passions.

No. In fact, for a long time they kept telling me to "really think about this...", since I said I'll probably be in school until I'm like 27, and that maybe engineering would be better for me. I just kind of sprung "I think I'll major in physics..." one day at dinner, though. It's not like I was even hinting at it or anything. They thought I was going to go into something related to computers.

Now they don't bug me anymore, but they still don't really like it.

PL

Nope never did one way or another. Although mom did always say that i had the mind of an engineer (i think she meant i was very regulated and not creative lol). They never discouraged me either though and were very happy with my choice, it was kind of a last minute thing i decided my last year in college to try something challenging and interesting insted of going just for a safe/easier choice.

My parents never helped me in learning things, but they were good suporters for my studies. Although both of them really liked I would study Med or psychology. Oh and yes my mother was my teacher for a year, and she said it really helped me to know you better, and that's why she left me to study whatever I wanted.

My mums a maths teacher, and my Dad has a Ph.D in economics. But I'm deciding to do chemical engineering.

I guess i did get a lot of help from my mum which i should be grateful of, but nowadays its time to figure stuff out on my own.

My mother is a pharmacist and so is my big brother, my father was a dentist(dead)...They just taught me one thing at home, that i should look bymyself for what i wanted to learn, that if i had a question i should search in my referrences before i ask...

For ex. if i wanted to know the meaning of a word, I've a dictionary an i should look for it in the dictionary if i wanted to know and so on...

In otherwords iw as taught to figure out things on my own...Their most important lesson was self-confidence and self-dependance...Too much eccentricity :D

Edit:I believe that sometimes u r lucky enough and ur parents will help u in a way r another, and sometimes it's not the case at all, but from what ahppens to people around me, everyone gets to find his own way no matter how much pressure the parents put on their children...

Last edited:
Well, yes and no...

Bassically, both my parents have a MS in engineering(dad electrical and mom environmental), so I've always thought it was "obvious" that I would go to college. Even though I always feel that I have always thought I wanted to go to college, my parents having degrees probably made it seem like it's just something everyone gets... Plus, they highly believe in education, and are willing to pay for everything I would need for educational purposes(as long as its reasonable of course)...

Other than that, they didn't influence what I wish to major in whatsoever. I'll major in either math, engineering, or physics and the didnt have anything to do with that...

the other day my dad actually said "If you aren't sure what you want to major in, don't worry. Just try different things and you can be in college until your 30 for all I care, as long as you eventually chose what you really want to do."

Neither of my parents graduated from college. my father did not even complete High School, but he was trained in the Army, during WWII, to work on automotive electrical systems. I was watching and learning basic electricity behavior from early childhood, I can't remember when it started. I recall when I was 9 or 10 getting a basic electric kit for Christmas and using it to build a Christmas tree light bulb tester.

It had been my mothers dream to go to college, but her family simply did not have the money and in the 40's there was not much financial aid to be had. The result of this was that mom was, and remains very education conscious. I will never forget, the beginning of the 9th grade when mom drug me into the principals office and demanded that I be moved form the general math class into Algebra. I had been a solid C/D student in math up to that time. I was horrified, but once I got into Algebra it clicked, I never saw anything but A's and B's through high school.

I do not know how or why but somehow my parents fosters a urge for college, myself and all of my four siblings have all completed college degrees; My older brother has a degree in Microbiology, he was working for a small research company with a NASA contract and worked on components of the Space Shuttle water recirculation system. When the Space shuttle work ended he chose lifestyle over career, got a job in the local post office so he could stay close to his river and fishing. My older sister worked her way through to a degree in education. Unfortunately after years of struggling to get her degree and finally getting a job as an art teacher, she died in a car accident on the last day of school before Christmas vacation in her first year of teaching.

My younger sister has a Education degree and has been teaching in elementary schools for over 20yrs. She was the only one in the family to finish college in an uninterrupted 4 years.

My younger brother struggled and did not complete a degree in his first efforts, but finally at the age of 34 completed a degree in construction engineering.

Dad was a great truck driver, a good carpenter but a lousy business man so we never had 2 pennies to rub together. My older siblings and I were completely on our own when it came time to paying for college. My brother and I both worked the saw miills and had our education interrupted by military service, using the GI Bill finally to see us through. My older sister simply worked, taking 7 years to complete her degree.

After my fathers early death, my younger brother and sister did have some help from social security.

So far, not only did all of the children in my family get a college education but all of the grandchildren have also. Not a bad track record for a blue collar family.

Last edited:
So far very fascinating.

Integral, thank you sooooooo much. You made me to cry. I am happy for you now everything is OK.

I wouldn't say they really influenced me, more like supported me in my decisions. My father and mother would always talk to me about the good side as well as bad side of the different paths I wanted (and still want) to take. I tried college for 2-years or so and that didn't go to well for me; therefore, I decided to join the US military to learn about myself and put my time into defend my homeland. A military stint was pretty guaranteed for me since I grew up in a military family: father just retired as an Army DS after 23-years, grandfather was a Marine DI for 14-years, brother is currently in Army SF, and I'm now in the Air Force intelligence community (hoping to become a TI one day if I stay long). But if I ever decide to get out of the military, I can get a lot of advice from my family since my father has a BS in ME, mother has a PhD in Aerospace Engineering, and brother is currently working on his PhD in Civil Engineering. I know I'd like to do something in the engineering or science field, but no matter what I get my degree in, I dream of being a high school teacher and possibly coaching a sport (track, football, or basketball).

And no matter what, my family will stand behind me 100% of the time and looking at them provides me with a great foundation. However, they would NEVER try to influence me purposely or persuade me because of their personal feelings.

Wow, I rant too much...

Last edited:
Cod, NO you did not rant too much. Actually it is great what you are telling us.

My parents influenced me by being active in my education. They came to school to see what I had done at every opportunity, and they met my teachers - especially my mom.

My mom only got as far a nursing school, but my dad had a bachelors degree (BA) in political science and another in divinity (he is a minister). Neither had a strong background in math or science, so by the time I got to 7th grade, my math was becoming more advanced than that with which they had experience.

At home, my parents purchased two single volume encyclopedias. One was published by Columbia University and it was general covering history, geography, humanities, and math and science. The second was Van Nostrand's scientific encyclopedia, which was strictly math and science. I read through both starting in grade 5 (age 9/10) and used it as reference for math and various subjects in chemistry, biology and physics. That's when I first began to learn about atomic structure, nuclear and particle physics, more generally quantum and astro- phsyics, and advanced math.

My parents also enrolled me in math and science programs for advanced primary and secondary students.

I basically directed my own education with the help of some great teachers.

1. How did your parents influence your education?

My parents have always been very supportive of my education and have provided me with the resources and opportunities to excel. They encouraged me to work hard and pursue my interests, and they also helped me with homework and projects when needed.

2. Did your parents have a specific educational background that influenced your own?

Yes, both of my parents have college degrees and have always emphasized the importance of education in our family. Growing up, I was exposed to their passion for learning and their dedication to their own education, which definitely had an impact on my own academic pursuits.

3. How did your parents' values and beliefs play a role in your education?

My parents' values and beliefs have played a huge role in my education. They have always stressed the importance of hard work, determination, and perseverance in achieving academic success. They have also instilled in me the value of education as a means to improve oneself and contribute to society.

4. Did your parents have a different approach to education than you?

My parents and I have slightly different approaches to education, but they have always respected and supported my individual learning style. While they may have different methods or strategies, we all share the same goal of pursuing knowledge and personal growth through education.

5. How do you think your parents' influence has impacted your education in the long term?

I believe my parents' influence has had a lasting impact on my education. Their support and encouragement have helped me develop a strong work ethic and a passion for learning that continues to drive me in my academic pursuits. They have also taught me the importance of lifelong learning and the value of education in all aspects of life.