• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Didn't know where to put this plan for college/uni?

• Schools
  • Thread starter rmalik
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Didn't know which section to put this under, and just coming here for some advice...

I graduated high school almost two years ago and was working the whole time to help out my family's financial situation. Now that things are better, I wanted to apply to a pure mathematics degree. The local universities only take low 80 to high 80 average. From what I remember I was a low 70 to mid 70 student. Unfortunately I'm too old for high school, so I was thinking about doing the math, physics and chemistry grade 11 and 12 credits all over thorough adult day school or online as a refresher and to meet the cutoff marks. It has also been a long time I haven't done any math or sciences but I kept my old materials and textbooks which I can use to review for the courses.

My question is: what are the chances that this can be pulled off? Are there too many factors to determine if it can?

I'm confident and ready to take up the challenge but I just want an outsider's opinion on whether it sounds like I am wasting time or not since I've already lost two years...

(yeah I know, Im a loser lol)

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do some academic upgrading. You may even be able to find a community college program that prepares people who've been out of the game for a while to enter university-level courses.

The only way to know if this is going to work is to give it a try. If you have other financial committments or a family to support, you could start by taking a night-school class or two in the beginning.

I like the idea.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do some academic upgrading. You may even be able to find a community college program that prepares people who've been out of the game for a while to enter university-level courses.

The only way to know if this is going to work is to give it a try. If you have other financial committments or a family to support, you could start by taking a night-school class or two in the beginning.
I'll give it a try and do my best. I'm probably not going to take prepatory classes. I just bought a textbook that covers grade 9-12 academic/university math material, and downloaded the provincial curriculum (which is very well organized and easy to understand might I add) for review. I'll head over to do the courses after the review and then to uni. Nice to know someone else thinks I'm headed toward the right direction. Thanks

I like the idea.
Me too :)

Last edited:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You haven't "lost" two years - during that time you've learned you want to get an education. Besides, two years is nothing - you'll look back 50 years from now and wonder why you were hesitant!

Go for it, and good luck :smile:.

Dude, you live in Canada too? I wish I could've send you my grade 12 math text lol, I actually never used it once and I somehow pulled an A.

Anyways I recommend getting this https://castlerockresearch.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=169 [Broken]

It helped me sooo much, I am not even kidding, the books published by them can literally replace your teachers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't "lost" two years - during that time you've learned you want to get an education. Besides, two years is nothing - you'll look back 50 years from now and wonder why you were hesitant!

Go for it, and good luck :smile:.
Thanks for the advice, and yeah that is true ha!

Dude, you live in Canada too? I wish I could've send you my grade 12 math text lol, I actually never used it once and I somehow pulled an A.

Anyways I recommend getting this https://castlerockresearch.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=169 [Broken]

It helped me sooo much, I am not even kidding, the books published by them can literally replace your teachers.
Yeah man I live in GTA area lol. That's pretty generous and it's all good that you don't have it. I have a pretty good textbook that covers all highschool math really well in my opinion. Most of the things will come flooding back once I wet my toes again. I'll look into that book, it sounds pretty helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, and yeah that is true ha!

Yeah man I live in GTA area lol. That's pretty generous and it's all good that you don't have it. I have a pretty good textbook that covers all highschool math really well in my opinion. Most of the things will come flooding back once I wet my toes again. I'll look into that book, it sounds pretty helpful. Thanks!
GTA...you mean San Andreas...?

I say you read lisab's sig.