Dif. eq. problem - dont know why it is wrong

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation problem by finding the constant solutions with a given initial condition. The correct approach involves dividing the equation by x and finding an integrating factor. The mistake in the solution was multiplying the integrating factor incorrectly.
UrbanXrisis
dif. eq. problem -- don't know why it is wrong

Solve for y: [tex]x \frac{dy}{dx} + 6y=5x[/tex]

with y(1)=2

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} =5 - 6\frac{y}{x} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{6y}{x} \frac{dy}{dx} =5[/tex]
[tex] 3y^2=\frac{5}{2}x^2 +C[/tex]
[tex] y= \sqrt{\frac{5x^2}{6}+\frac{C}{3}}[/tex]

solve for when y(1)=2

[tex]4=\frac{5}{6}+\frac{C}{3}[/tex]
[tex]C=\frac{19}{2}[/tex]

so..

[tex]y= \sqrt{\frac{5x^2}{6}+\frac{19}{6}}[/tex]

what did i do wrong? because this is not the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y/x does not equal (dy)/(dx), You need to divide by x and then find an integrating factor.

sorry, that was typo! could you check it now?

It looks even worse, you somehow make addition into multiplaication. I already told you what you need to do. You need to divide everything by x to get the y' by itself and then find an integrating factor, you should know how to do that if you're being given this kind of problem because it certainly isn't separable,

oh thanks. by the way, when I am given a dif. eq. and they ask me "What are the constant solutions of this equation? "

what exactly are do they want me to find?

As said before, you're taking the wrong approach.

You need to divide it by x to get it into standard form or whatever it's called, and then get an integrating factor.

I get an answer of y = 5x/7 +c/x6

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:
oh thanks. by the way, when I am given a dif. eq. and they ask me "What are the constant solutions of this equation? "

what exactly are do they want me to find?

Umm... I think they might mean for you to find the solutions that are just a constant function ie. y=c c is just some constant.

ek said:
As said before, you're taking the wrong approach.

You need to divide it by x to get it into standard form or whatever it's called, and then get an integrating factor.

I get an answer of y = 5x/7 +c

You forgot to divide c by x6

d_leet said:
You forgot to divide c by x6

Ya. Actually I forgot to put in period and added it in haphazardly without thinking. I'm quite absent minded some times. I'll edit my post. I edited my last post.

Last edited:
hmmm

[tex] x\frac{dy}{dx}+6y=5x[/tex][tex] \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{6}{x}y=\frac{5}[/tex]

then your integrating factor is

[tex]e^{6\int\frac{dx}{x}}=x^6[/tex]

multiply through by integrating factor

[tex] x^6\frac{dy}{dx}+6x^5y=5x^6[/tex]

then integrate both sides

[tex]x^6y=\frac{5x^7}{7}+C [/tex]

Divide through by x^6

[tex]y=\frac{5x}{7}+Cx^{-6}[/tex]

do you see where your mistake is?

now solve for C

[tex] y(1)=2 [/tex]

[tex] 2=\frac{5}{7}1+C [/tex]

[tex] 2-\frac{5}{7}=C [/tex]

[tex] \frac{9}{7}=C [/tex]

so the specific solution is

[tex]y=\frac{5x}{7}+\frac{9}{7}x^{-6}[/tex]

Last edited:
Valhalla said:
hmmm

[tex] x\frac{dy}{dx}+6y=5[/tex]

The term on the right hand side should be 5x not 5 so your answer is wrong as well.

d_leet said:
The term on the right hand side should be 5x not 5 so your answer is wrong as well.

shizer your right

fixed

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, whereas a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model physical systems in one dimension, while partial differential equations are used for systems in multiple dimensions.

3. How do I know if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution to a differential equation, you can substitute the solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also check if the solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions that were given.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving differential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving differential equations include incorrect use of integration, making algebraic errors, and forgetting to include constant terms. It is important to double-check your work and follow the proper steps when solving a differential equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and study systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the development of mathematical models for predicting future events.