Diff. eq. for the Einstein metric inside a body

In summary, the equation to solve is y''(t)+C_{1}\; y'(t)=C_{2}(y(t)), where C_{1},C_{2} are constants. If you can identify what function D_{1}(y), D_{2}(y) are, the equation becomes trivial to solve.
gijeqkeij
Solving the Einstein eq. i found the following differential eq. that would descrive the metric inside a body:
x2d2y(x)/dx2+2xD1(y)dy(x)/dx+D2(y)=0
where D1(y) and D2(y) are known function of y and 0<=x<=1.
I try to solve numerically but looks like there is a cusp; any suggestion how to approach that eq. or some links where that eq. is treated?
Ty

Physics news on Phys.org
If we change the x with x=exp(-t) we have the following diff. eq.:
d2y/dt2+(1-2D1)dy/dt+D2=0
where 0<=t<=[tex]\infty[/tex].

Any hint? Do you know where this kind of eq. has been analyzed?

Ty

Hi.

Yes this is very difficult task you want to solve, but for my opinion is unsolvable in analytical way!
Why?
You don't know what kind of functions are [tex]D_{1}(y), D_{2}(y)[/tex] this is main problem and even not knowing whether you can solve analytical or numerical, but for solving numerical this is very difficult task. If you know what function are [tex]D_{1}(y), D_{2}(y)[/tex] than is trivial task as you already know :smile:

MrSnoopy said:
Hi.

Yes this is very difficult task you want to solve, but for my opinion is unsolvable in analytical way!
Why?
You don't know what kind of functions are [tex]D_{1}(y), D_{2}(y)[/tex] this is main problem and even not knowing whether you can solve analytical or numerical, but for solving numerical this is very difficult task. If you know what function are [tex]D_{1}(y), D_{2}(y)[/tex] than is trivial task as you already know :smile:

Thanks Snoopy. Actualli I know the D1(y)=A1*(B1-ye)/ye+1/2 and D2(y)=A2(1-ye)(B2-ye)/y2e-1... (Ai, Bi, e are costants) but the problems is that when i try to solve that equation numerically y->0 for a finite value of t and that has no physical meaning (the metric degenerates at a finite (>0) distance from the center of the star). Why u said it's trivial if i would know D1 and D2?

No problem gijeqkeij.
It is only expression we use to simplify our life :smile:

Trivial task is only when"thinking" in numerical solving problem without analytical solution.
On the other hand you can see, with your note, that [tex]D(y), y \neq y(x) [/tex] but you are want to solve DE [tex] y''(t)+C_{1}\; y'(t)= C_{2}[/tex]
where [tex]C_{1}, C_{2}[/tex] are only constants.
If I understand you correctly [tex]D_{1,2}(y),\; D_{1,2} \neq D_{1,2}(y(t)) [/tex], if so you just have to solve DE second degree analytical :wink:

Glad to help
MrSnoopy

MrSnoopy said:
No problem gijeqkeij.
It is only expression we use to simplify our life :smile:

Trivial task is only when"thinking" in numerical solving problem without analytical solution.
On the other hand you can see, with your note, that [tex]D(y), y \neq y(x) [/tex] but you are want to solve DE [tex] y''(t)+C_{1}\; y'(t)= C_{2}[/tex]
where [tex]C_{1}, C_{2}[/tex] are only constants.
If I understand you correctly [tex]D_{1,2}(y),\; D_{1,2} \neq D_{1,2}(y(t)) [/tex], if so you just have to solve DE second degree analytical :wink:

Glad to help
MrSnoopy

Sorry Snoopy I guess I was unclear. The eq. to solve is: [tex] y''(t)+C_{1}(y(t))\; y'(t)= C_{2}(y(t))[/tex]. I thought that kind of eq. received some attention in literature and I wonder if somebody can help me in finding papers that analyze that type of DE. Thanks

Hy :smile:

You wrote something like this:
[tex]D_{1}(y) = A_{1}\frac{B_{1}-y^{e}}{y^{e}}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and
[tex]D_{2}(y) = A_{2} (1-y^{e})\frac{B_{2}-y^{e}}{y^{2e-1}}\;\;\; ... [/tex]

where are [tex]A_{1}, A_{2}, B_{1},B_{2}, e=exp(1) \in const[/tex]. OK this DE cannot be solve analytical :smile:

Numerical approach :wink:

[tex]x^{2}y''(x)+\left[2xA_{1}(B_{1}y(x)^{-e}-1)+x \right]y'(x) +A_{2}(B_{2}-y^{e})(y^{1-e}-y^{1-2e}) = 0[/tex]

For knowing [tex]y(x=?)= ..., y'(x= ?)= ...[/tex] than make DE something like this:
[tex]y'_{1} = y_{2} [/tex]
[tex]y'_{2} = -\frac{1}{x^{2}}\left[\left(2A_{1}x(B_{1}y^{-e}_{1}-1)+x\right)y_{2}+A_{2}(B_{2}-y^{e}_{1})(y^{1-e}-y^{1-2e})\right][/tex]

This is best to solve with Runge-Kutta 5 degree or with ode45 in MatLab or Octave.
I attach file with Runge-Kutta method in file.m (MatLab, Octave).
Write like this in MatLab:
[tex]f=inline([\; 'y(1)' \; ;\; '\frac{1}{x^2}\left[... \right]'\;], 'x' , 'y' )[/tex]

In Runge-Kutta file will output vector dimension 2*n where n is steps make in calculation.
Where you want do solve this equation on interval [tex]I[/tex] second column in function RungeKutta5, [tex]y0(x=?)=[y(x=?) , y'(x=?)][/tex] and for n put 100 or more.

I hope I helped you :smile:

MrSnoopy

Attachments

• RungeKutta5pure.m
    2 KB · Views: 296
Thanks Snoopy... that help but the problem is that a numerical solution bring to a singularity somewhere for t=t* (finite value). I wonder if somebody has analyzed that kind of eq. to identify what are (if any) the conditions for it's integrability.

1. What is the Einstein metric inside a body?

The Einstein metric inside a body refers to the mathematical description of the curvature of space and time within a physical object. This metric is based on the theory of general relativity developed by Albert Einstein.

2. How does differential equations relate to the Einstein metric inside a body?

Differential equations are used to describe the properties of the Einstein metric inside a body. These equations help to calculate the curvature and energy density of the object, which are important components of the Einstein metric.

3. What are the applications of studying differential equations for the Einstein metric inside a body?

Studying differential equations for the Einstein metric inside a body has numerous applications in the field of physics and cosmology. It helps us understand the structure and behavior of physical objects, as well as the dynamics of the universe.

4. How is the Einstein metric inside a body different from the standard metric used in Euclidean geometry?

The Einstein metric inside a body is based on the theory of general relativity and takes into account the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. In contrast, the standard metric used in Euclidean geometry assumes a flat space without any curvature.

5. Are there any current research developments regarding differential equations for the Einstein metric inside a body?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this field, especially in the study of the Einstein field equations and their solutions for different types of physical objects. This research aims to deepen our understanding of the properties of the Einstein metric and its implications in various areas of physics and cosmology.