Diffeomorphism invariance of the Polyakov action

In summary, the Polyakov action is diffeomorphism invariant and Weyl invariant. The world-sheet coordinates can be denoted as \sigma^0 = \sigma and \sigma^1 = t, and the independent world-sheet metric is h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma). The Polyakov action can be written as S_{P} = -\frac{T}{2}\int d^{2}\sigma \, \sqrt{-h}h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu where T is the string tension and \alpha, \beta run over 0 and 1. By defining \delta_{E
maverick280857
[SOLVED] Diffeomorphism invariance of the Polyakov action

Hi,

I'm struggling with something that is quite elementary. I know that the Polyakov action is diffeomorphism invariant and Weyl invariant. Denoting the world-sheet coordinates [itex]\sigma^0 = \sigma[/itex] and [itex]\sigma^1 = t[/itex] and the independent world-sheet metric by [itex]h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma)[/itex], the Polyakov action can be written as

[tex]S_{P} = -\frac{T}{2}\int d^{2}\sigma \, \sqrt{-h}h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu[/tex]

where T is the string tension and [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex] run over 0 and 1 (labeling [itex]\sigma[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]).

Now, if I define

[tex]\delta_{E}h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma) = h_{\alpha\beta}'(\sigma) - h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma)[/tex]

as the Einstein variation of the independent world-sheet metric, where the primed coordinates denote the transformed world-sheet coordinates under a diffeomorphism defined by

[tex]{\sigma'}^{\gamma} = \sigma^\gamma - \xi^\gamma(\sigma)[/tex]

then I would like to show that

[tex]\delta_E h_{\alpha\beta} = \partial_\alpha \xi^\gamma h_{\gamma\beta} + \partial_\beta \xi^\gamma h_{\alpha\gamma} + \xi^\gamma \partial_\gamma h_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]

This is supposed to follow from chain rule, but I do not quite get all the terms.

My working

[tex]h'_{\gamma\delta}(\sigma') = h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma)\frac{d\sigma^\alpha}{d{\sigma'}^\gamma}\frac{d{\sigma}^\beta}{d{\sigma'}^\delta}[/tex]

Now by definition,

[tex]\sigma^\alpha = {\sigma'}^\alpha + \xi^\alpha(\sigma)[/tex]

So,

[tex]\frac{d\sigma^\alpha}{d{\sigma'}^\beta} = \delta^\alpha_\beta + \frac{d\sigma^\delta}{d{\sigma'}^\beta}\frac{d{\xi}^\alpha(\sigma)}{d {\sigma}^{\delta}}[/tex]

But this seems to give only the first two terms of [itex]\delta_E h[/itex] and not the third one, which is the usual derivative (change along gradient) term that I'd expect to get.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved. Thanks anyway!

maverick280857 said:
Hi,
[tex]h'_{\gamma\delta}(\sigma') = h_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma)\frac{d\sigma^\alpha}{d{\sigma'}^\gamma}\frac{d{\sigma}^\beta}{d{\sigma'}^\delta}[/tex]

Thanks!

Expand the left-hand-side as well
[tex]h^{'}_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma^{'} ) = h^{'}_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma - \xi ) \approx h^{'}_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma ) - \xi^{ \rho } \partial_{ \rho } h^{'}_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma ) .[/tex]
But infinitesimally
[tex]\xi^{ \rho } \partial_{ \rho } h^{'}_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma ) \approx \xi^{ \rho } \partial_{ \rho } h_{ \mu \nu } ( \sigma ) .[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks samalkhaiat, yes, I got that.

I would also like to show that

(a) [itex]\delta_E(h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu) = \xi^\rho \partial_\rho(h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu)[/itex] because "[itex]h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu[/itex] is an Einstein scalar". What is an Einstein scalar?

My guess is that [itex]h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu[/itex] transforms as a scalar function.

(b) [itex]\delta_E(\sqrt{-h}) = \partial_\rho(\xi^\rho \sqrt{-h})[/itex]

This one worries me a little because of the placement of parenthesis...any ideas?

How does one prove these relations?

Last edited:
maverick280857 said:
Thanks samalkhaiat, yes, I got that.

I would also like to show that

(a) [itex]\delta_E(h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu) = \xi^\rho \partial_\rho(h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu)[/itex] because "[itex]h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu[/itex] is an Einstein scalar". What is an Einstein scalar?

My guess is that [itex]h^{\alpha\beta}\partial_\alpha X^\mu \partial_\beta X_\mu[/itex] transforms as a scalar function.
That is correct.

(b) [itex]\delta_E(\sqrt{-h}) = \partial_\rho(\xi^\rho \sqrt{-h})[/itex]

This one worries me a little because of the placement of parenthesis...any ideas?

How does one prove these relations?
Use the following fact. For any operator [itex]\hat{ \delta }[/itex], satisfying the Leibnz rule such as [itex]( \partial , \delta )[/itex], the following can be proven
[tex]\frac{ \hat{ \delta }( \sqrt{ - g } ) }{ \sqrt{ - g } } = \frac{1}{2} g^{ \mu \nu } \hat{ \delta } g_{ \mu \nu } .[/tex]

Sam

What is diffeomorphism invariance?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a concept in mathematical physics that refers to the property of a physical theory or mathematical object to remain unchanged under coordinate transformations. In other words, the underlying structure or equations remain the same, regardless of how the coordinates or variables are changed.

What is the Polyakov action?

The Polyakov action is a mathematical functional used in string theory to describe the dynamics of a string in spacetime. It is named after its creator, physicist Alexander Polyakov, and is a sum of terms that describe the energy and interactions of the string.

Why is diffeomorphism invariance important in the Polyakov action?

Diffeomorphism invariance is important in the Polyakov action because it is one of the fundamental symmetries that the theory must possess in order to be consistent. In particular, it is required for the theory to be able to describe the dynamics of a string in a curved spacetime, as general relativity predicts.

How is diffeomorphism invariance achieved in the Polyakov action?

Diffeomorphism invariance is achieved in the Polyakov action by using tools from differential geometry, such as the concept of a tangent bundle and the notion of a covariant derivative, to ensure that the equations of motion for the string remain unchanged under coordinate transformations.

What are some applications of diffeomorphism invariance in the Polyakov action?

Diffeomorphism invariance in the Polyakov action has many important applications in theoretical physics. For example, it is used to derive the equations of motion for a string in a curved spacetime, which is essential for understanding the behavior of strings in the presence of gravitational fields. It is also used in the study of black holes and other objects in general relativity, as well as in the development of new string theory models and techniques.