Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Difference between a psychoactive and pyschedelic?

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Anybody know what's the difference between a psychoactive and psychdellic substances?

Our body produces Serotonin and Adrenaline naturally. Seratonin and Noradrenaline act on the mind,brain,and neurons.I'm sorta understandong, Serotonin keeps us awake and wakes us up. Adrenalines takes us to our highest level of performance or energy.

When we take Psychoactives do thy take the role or Serotonin or Noreadrenaline? I know all the neurons have Serotonin receptors. DO they have Adrenaline ones?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, no, all neurons do NOT have serotonin receptors, only those that are part of the serotonergic system. Second, adrenaline and noradrenaline are TWO DIFFERENT substances, often with opposing functions. Yes, there are neurons with adrenergic and/or noradrenergic receptors, some of which will also have serotonin receptors and some not.

However, I'm not sure where that fits into your first question.

A psychoACTIVE substance refers to anything that affects you psychologically; in other words, has an effect on parts of the brain influencing behavior. Psychedelic substances are within a class of drugs also known as hallucinogens. They produce hallucinations, as the name implies, and in particular, certain types of visual hallucinations.

4. Oct 10, 2006 #3
    XTC is Psychedelic and doesn't produce hallucinations.

I though Adrenaline and noreadrenaline where about the same and made in the same glands. Just like Adrenaline is almoat Epinephrine.

5. Oct 10, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The scientific literature waivers back and forth on this. Some classify MDMA as a hallucinogen, and others avoid that term and just stick with calling it a stimulant.

Adrenaline and epinephrine are the same compound, just two different names for it. Noradrenaline and norepinephrine are also two names for one compound. And, yes, both are produced by the adrenal gland to act in an endocrine fashion. However, they are also produced in neurons, and have distinct functions as neurotransmitters different from what goes on out in the rest of the body.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?