Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between accelerometer and vibration sensor

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    I have searched on web but i did not get exact explanation on about these topics. Could someone clear me. I am looking for accelemeter to my pump that can get the information about vibrations.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's not a real difference, but a vibration sensor is one application for an accelerometer. Have a look around for some vibration analysis equipment providers.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    Still, i am in confustion and can not able to figure out the difference. Can some one point out the difference here?

Does accelerometer detect the vibrations?

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The difference is in the firmware.

Older vibration sensors sensed position or velocity. Newer ones tend to use a MEMS accelerometer to detect vibrations. Accelerometer-based vibration sensors often capture acceleration data at a high rate. The built-in DSP uses a band pass filter to eliminate the very high frequency noise and to eliminate the low frequency accelerations that are of little interest when it comes to detecting vibrations.

A MEMS accelerometer that is used as an accelerometer will use different signal processing compared to a MEMS accelerometer that is targeted to detect vibrations. Here it is the low frequency accelerations that are of primary interest. When it comes to detecting acceleration, the vibrations are just noise that are best eliminated at the source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook