Difference between accelerometer and vibration sensor

In summary, An accelerometer is a type of vibration sensor that uses MEMS technology to detect vibrations. It captures acceleration data at a high rate and uses a band pass filter to eliminate noise and focus on the low frequency accelerations that are of interest. However, the firmware and signal processing may differ depending on whether the accelerometer is specifically designed for vibration detection or general acceleration detection.
rama1001
I have searched on web but i did not get exact explanation on about these topics. Could someone clear me. I am looking for accelemeter to my pump that can get the information about vibrations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's not a real difference, but a vibration sensor is one application for an accelerometer. Have a look around for some vibration analysis equipment providers.

Still, i am in confustion and can not able to figure out the difference. Can some one point out the difference here?

Does accelerometer detect the vibrations?

rama1001 said:
Still, i am in confustion and can not able to figure out the difference. Can some one point out the difference here?

Does accelerometer detect the vibrations?
The difference is in the firmware.

Older vibration sensors sensed position or velocity. Newer ones tend to use a MEMS accelerometer to detect vibrations. Accelerometer-based vibration sensors often capture acceleration data at a high rate. The built-in DSP uses a band pass filter to eliminate the very high frequency noise and to eliminate the low frequency accelerations that are of little interest when it comes to detecting vibrations.

A MEMS accelerometer that is used as an accelerometer will use different signal processing compared to a MEMS accelerometer that is targeted to detect vibrations. Here it is the low frequency accelerations that are of primary interest. When it comes to detecting acceleration, the vibrations are just noise that are best eliminated at the source.

What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is typically used to measure the movement or orientation of an object.

What is a vibration sensor?

A vibration sensor is a sensor that measures vibrations or oscillations in an object or a system. It is used to detect and measure the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of these vibrations.

What is the main difference between an accelerometer and a vibration sensor?

The main difference between an accelerometer and a vibration sensor is that an accelerometer measures acceleration, while a vibration sensor measures vibrations or oscillations. Accelerometers are typically more sensitive and accurate than vibration sensors, but they are also more expensive.

Can an accelerometer be used as a vibration sensor?

Yes, an accelerometer can be used as a vibration sensor. However, it may not be as accurate as a dedicated vibration sensor, as it is designed for a different purpose. Additionally, accelerometers can only measure vibration along a single axis, while vibration sensors can measure vibrations in multiple directions.

In what applications are accelerometers and vibration sensors commonly used?

Accelerometers are commonly used in devices such as smartphones, gaming controllers, and fitness trackers to measure motion and orientation. Vibration sensors are commonly used in industrial machinery to monitor vibrations and detect any potential malfunctions or failures. They are also used in seismic monitoring, automotive systems, and aerospace applications.