Difference between accuracy and resolution

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a few questions regarding measuring devices in systems such as ventilation, heating, cooling etc. When calibrating these I come accross the terms "accuracy" and "resolution" (directly translated from norwegian). I a bit confused about the difference of these. Can someone explain this to me...?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
A layperson's answer - might not be as formal as someone in the industry:

I have two tape measures A and B, A measures down to 1/8th inch increments, while B measures down to 1/32 inch increments. B has higher resolution.

B has a little hook on the end on a slidey bit with a rivet (it took me a long time to figure out what that was for). Anyway, the slidey bit allows for too much play when I measure; it can slide around by as much as 1/16th of an inch.

Ironically, while tape measure B has higher resolution, if I don't use it correctly, it is actually less accurate.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Just to echo what Dave mentioned:

Accuracy: The closeness of a measurement to the actual value being measured.

Resolution: The smallest detectable increment that an instrument will measure/display to.

Accuracy: accuracy is the maximum spread in measurements made of slide movements during successive runs at a number of target points
Resolution: Resolution refers to the smallest units of measurement that the system can recognize.