Difference between an elastomeric protein and polyprotein?

In summary, an elastomeric protein is a type of protein that can withstand significant deformations without rupturing. This is in contrast to a polyprotein, which has a force-extension curve that shows it can only withstand a certain amount of stress before rupturing. Structurally, the main difference between the two is that elastomeric proteins have a higher elasticity and can stretch further without breaking. This information can be found in various scientific papers and resources, such as the definition of elastomeric proteins on the NCBI website and the PDF on AFM provided in the conversation.
rwooduk
Please could someone tell me the difference between an elastomeric protein and polyprotein?

I'm trying to figure out the force-extension curve for each and I am unsure of how they would differ.

edit here is the curve for a polyprotein

6.png

http://nptel.ac.in/courses/102103044/module3/lec20/6.html

I am unsure how a elastomeric protein would differ and what are the differences (structurally) between the two.

Thanks for any input on this.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Anyone? Deos the question make sense?

I had to look this up to even get a clue, so I don't really know but -
Here's a definition of an elastomeric protein: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11084370

As far as I can tell the elastomeric protein can take more stress than a polyprotein, because it states they can withstand significant deformations without rupture.

Likes rwooduk
Silver_rose said:
I had to look this up to even get a clue, so I don't really know but -
Here's a definition of an elastomeric protein: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11084370

As far as I can tell the elastomeric protein can take more stress than a polyprotein, because it states they can withstand significant deformations without rupture.

That's very helpful thank you! I had trouble reading the papers I found using google search because I'm REALLY not a biologist, so your interpretation really helps! Thanks

1. What is the main difference between an elastomeric protein and polyprotein?

An elastomeric protein is a type of protein that has the ability to stretch and return to its original shape, similar to a rubber band. On the other hand, a polyprotein is a large protein molecule that consists of multiple smaller proteins linked together.

2. How are elastomeric proteins and polyproteins formed?

Elastomeric proteins are formed through the folding and twisting of amino acids into a specific shape that allows them to stretch. Polyproteins are formed through the translation of a single mRNA molecule that contains the genetic information for multiple proteins.

3. Can elastomeric proteins and polyproteins be found in the same organism?

Yes, they can be found in the same organism. Elastomeric proteins are commonly found in connective tissues, while polyproteins can be found in viruses and some bacteria.

4. What is the function of elastomeric proteins and polyproteins?

Elastomeric proteins play a role in providing flexibility and elasticity to tissues, while polyproteins have a variety of functions such as serving as enzymes, structural components, and signaling molecules.

5. Can elastomeric proteins and polyproteins be modified or altered?

Yes, both types of proteins can be modified or altered through processes such as post-translational modification and genetic mutations. These modifications can affect their function and structure.