1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edi

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak?

I currently possess Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak in it's electronic form. However, I am considering buying a hard copy and have the option of buying either a used 3rd edition or a new 4th edition.

Since, the 4th edition is quite costly for me, I want to be absolutely sure before buying. I haven't been able to locate an electronic copy of the 4th edition anywhere.

So, would someone be kind enough to tell me precisely the differences between the two books.

I expect to solve a good amount of hard calculus problems so I would choose whichever has more problems.

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Both are good books. If you can save lots of money by buying the third edition, then go for it.

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    There is some information regarding that on the publisher'shttp://www.mathpop.com/mainhtms/bip.htm [Broken]webpage:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jun 19, 2015 #4
    They both are good books, but the fourth edition has more examples on problems and gives you the idea on how to solve problems
    so new editions are good but dont lose the old editions

6. Jun 23, 2015 #5
    Thank you everyone for your replies. i bought the 4th edition itself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted