• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edi

Main Question or Discussion Point

Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak?

I currently possess Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak in it's electronic form. However, I am considering buying a hard copy and have the option of buying either a used 3rd edition or a new 4th edition.

Since, the 4th edition is quite costly for me, I want to be absolutely sure before buying. I haven't been able to locate an electronic copy of the 4th edition anywhere.

So, would someone be kind enough to tell me precisely the differences between the two books.

I expect to solve a good amount of hard calculus problems so I would choose whichever has more problems.

Thank you for your help.

Answers and Replies

Both are good books. If you can save lots of money by buying the third edition, then go for it.

Likes vish_maths
There is some information regarding that on the publisher'shttp://www.mathpop.com/mainhtms/bip.htm [Broken]webpage:
This new edition adds only a small amount of material and some problems; it does not contain a significant amount of new material, and will probably not be of interest to those who already have the 3rd edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
They both are good books, but the fourth edition has more examples on problems and gives you the idea on how to solve problems
so new editions are good but dont lose the old editions

Likes vish_maths
Thank you everyone for your replies. i bought the 4th edition itself