Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edi

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the 4th and 3rd editions of the book "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. The speaker currently has the 3rd edition in electronic form but is considering buying a hard copy. The 4th edition is more expensive but the speaker wants to know the differences between the two before making a decision. The 4th edition has some new material and more examples on problem-solving, but the 3rd edition is still a good option for those on a budget. Ultimately, the speaker decides to buy the 4th edition.
vish_maths
Difference between Calculus 4th edition and Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak?

I currently possesses Calculus 3rd edition by Michael Spivak in it's electronic form. However, I am considering buying a hard copy and have the option of buying either a used 3rd edition or a new 4th edition.

Since, the 4th edition is quite costly for me, I want to be absolutely sure before buying. I haven't been able to locate an electronic copy of the 4th edition anywhere.

So, would someone be kind enough to tell me precisely the differences between the two books.

I expect to solve a good amount of hard calculus problems so I would choose whichever has more problems.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are good books. If you can save lots of money by buying the third edition, then go for it.

Likes vish_maths
There is some information regarding that on the publisher'shttp://www.mathpop.com/mainhtms/bip.htm webpage:
This new edition adds only a small amount of material and some problems; it does not contain a significant amount of new material, and will probably not be of interest to those who already have the 3rd edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
They both are good books, but the fourth edition has more examples on problems and gives you the idea on how to solve problems
so new editions are good but don't lose the old editions

Likes vish_maths
Thank you everyone for your replies. i bought the 4th edition itself

What changes were made from the 3rd edition to the 4th edition of Calculus?

The 4th edition of Calculus includes updates to the content, examples, and exercises, as well as improvements in the clarity and organization of the material. Some new topics may have been added, and others may have been removed or condensed.

Are there any major differences in the approach or methodology used in the 4th edition compared to the 3rd edition of Calculus?

The core principles and concepts of Calculus remain the same in both editions. However, the 4th edition may have a more modern or streamlined approach to teaching the material, with new techniques or perspectives introduced.

Is the 4th edition of Calculus more difficult than the 3rd edition?

The level of difficulty may vary based on individual learning styles and abilities. However, the 4th edition may have more challenging exercises and applications, as well as more advanced topics compared to the 3rd edition.

Can I use the 3rd edition instead of the 4th edition for my Calculus course?

It is ultimately up to your instructor's discretion whether the 3rd edition can be used in place of the 4th edition. However, if your course requires specific exercises or assignments from the textbook, it is recommended to use the edition specified by your instructor.

Are there any advantages to using the 4th edition of Calculus over the 3rd edition?

The 4th edition may have more updated and relevant examples and exercises, as well as improved explanations and organization of the material. Additionally, the 4th edition may include online resources or interactive tools to aid in learning and understanding the material.