• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Spivak Calculus 3rd Ed. or 2nd Ed.?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Spivak "Calculus" 3rd Ed. or 2nd Ed.?

I've found a pretty interesting price for the 3rd Ed. of Spivak "Calculus".

I'm wondering if you suggest me to buy it or to look for the second edition.

My concern is related to the fact that almost every scientific textbook is watered down edition after edition, so in principle, I was considering to buy the 2nd Ed. instead of the 3rd.

What do you suggest me?

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Spivak never waters his books down. Any edition is great. In fact one of my friends, master teacher Theodore Shifrin, (in the same tradition as Michael Spivak), has made some enhancements to some of the later editions. So in this case they may even offer more.

Spivak never waters his books down. Any edition is great. In fact one of my friends, master teacher Theodore Shifrin, (in the same tradition as Michael Spivak), has made some enhancements to some of the later editions. So in this case they may even offer more.
Thank you mathwonk for you quick reply!
In the past weeks I've read many textbooks suggestions from you.

Also for this reason I've bought Hoffman and Kunze textbook and now I'm about to buy Spivak's.

Can I ask you a further suggestion about what to (self)study after Spivak?

I'm an undergraduate student in Aerospace Engineering and I'm focusing on having very solid mathematical basis, with proofs and rigorous demonstrations.
For this reason I dislike many of the most recent math textbooks.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

there are several good several variable calc books, including spivak's calculus on manifolds, one of the best but very condensed. Another is volume 2 of courant (old fashioned but excellent), another is calculus of several variables by wendell fleming, another is (only if you handle spivak well) dieudone's foundations of modern analysis. to be honest this last book is a bit over the top in terms of abstractness, so you should supplement it with another source.

Munkres Analysis on Manifolds is another very ood book for several variable calculus. It coverage is similar to Spivaks calculus on manifolds but is over twice as long (this could be good or bad depending on your perspective).

I know for sure the third edition added a chapter or 2 (I know it added the one on planetary motion) and fixed some errors. There's still a few errors that probably got ironed out before the 4th edition, but nothing that shouldn't be too obvious if you reread it after the initial confusion, like a an x where there should be a y or something small like that (except for one, I can't remember what it was, though. Drove me crazy).

edit:
search google, there's a list of the errors in the 3rd edition somewhere I remember coming across.