Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Difference between CMS and ATLAS wrt channels

1. Jun 8, 2017 #1
    I was wondering what the differences are between CMS and ATLAS when it comes to their channels. I know they detect for the H →γγ, H → 4l, H → eνμν channels, but I was wondering how they differ in their detection for these channels.

I was also wondering if there were any noticeable differences in the experimental techniques and capabilities. If someone can guide me to a review paper on this I would also appreciate that, but most seem to be filled with technical data and no clear distinction between the both.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 8, 2017 #3
    I have indeed. The problem is with the specfics itself of the different channels. There seem to be small differences between CMS and ATLAS but I can't seen to really figure it out.

5. Jun 8, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Quoting myself from elsewhere, to have it here as well:
    The expected sensitivities for the Higgs decay modes are very similar.

I don't know the numbers by heart. ATLAS can determine the origin of photons better, which reduces the background (where the two photons come from different primary vertices) and increases the energy resolution (because you are more likely to find the right point where they come from, important for the invariant mass calculation). CMS has a better intrinsic energy resolution in the calorimeter itself. The background subtraction differs a bit.

Similar for muons, the details differ but the overall strategy is very similar. For the details, you'll have to read the papers.

6. Jun 9, 2017 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

No paper is going to explain the differencies between two separate detectors that only share the same beams...
    But nothing is very special about the decay channel searches that allow 1 detector to look at it but halts the other... for example ATLAS could also discover the Higgs boson in the H-->ZZ*-->4l channel with Run-1 data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted