Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between line vector and free vector

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I started to study Roy Featherstone's book "Rigid Body Dynamics Algorythms".

The book starts off by explaining Spatial Algebra, where translations and rotations are gathered in a 6-D vector using Plucker's coordinates.

At some point the book says;

"A line vector is a quantity that is characterized by a directed line and a magnitude.
    A pure rotation of a rigid body is a line vector, and so is a linear force
    acting on a rigid body. A free vector is a quantity that can be characterized by
    a magnitude and a direction. Pure translations of a rigid body are free vectors,
    and so are pure couples. A line vector can be specified by five numbers, and
    a free vector by three. A line vector can also be specified by a free vector and
    any one point on the line."

Can someone explain the difference between line vector and free vector in different words, especially the part where a line vector can be specified by five numbers.

my current understanding would be that a free vector is the common euclidean vector, but then in the formulation above the two seem to differ by the fact that one is characterized by a directed line and the other by a direction. What's the difference ?

Disclaimer; most of my algebra is self taught so if say some non-sense, that's why :)

Hopefully this is the right location for such a post.

Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

My understanding is a free vector has direction and magnitude.

and it sounds like a line vector has additional components for theta and phi rotational angles (think spherical coordinate angles).

So a line vector could be used to describe a physical object in space including its rotation about the vector.

Does that make sense?

This may help too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_body_dynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_body

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Thank you, it makes sense for the most part :)

so if a line vector is defined by a vector plus theta and phi (relative to the basis axis?) the text would mean;

"A pure rotation of a rigid body is a line vector"; the vector would be 0 and theta and phi would be the rotation of the body relatively to the basis of the space.

"so is a linear force acting on a rigid body"; that one i don't get, why would a linear force need to be a line vector and not just a free vector.

"Pure translations of a rigid body are free vectors"; Ok

"so are pure couples"; OK but then how is it different from the linear force?

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4
    Here is the following part of the text that may help too, it's quite confusing to me.

"Let ^s be any spatial vector, motion or force, and let s and sO be the two 3D coordinate vectors that supply the Plucker coordinates of ^s."
    [me; in Plucker coordinates s are 3 rotations angles around the basis axis, and sO a vector, though here it seems to be saying that they are 2 vectors]

"Here are some basic facts about line vectors and free vectors.
     If s = 0 then ^s is a free vector."
    [me: yes only sO is left and that's is a vector]

"If s.sO = 0 then ^s is a line vector. The direction of the line is given by
    s, and the line itself is the set of points P that satisfy OP X s = sO."
    [me: in order to do a dot product here, it has to be 2 vectors, but then that's different from Plucker coordinates?]

"Any spatial vector can be expressed as the sum of a line vector and a free vector. If the line vector must pass through a given point, then the expression is unique.

Any spatial vector, other than a free vector, can be expressed uniquely as
    the sum of a line vector and a parallel free vector. The expression (for a
    motion vector) is

Code (Text):
    |     s    |     |  0   |
    | sO - hs  |   + |  hs  | where h =  (s.sO) / (s.s)
    [me: The | above are supposed to be big [] ]

This last result implies that any spatial vector, other than a free vector, can be described uniquely by a directed line, a linear magnitude and an angular magnitude. Free vectors can also be described in this manner, but the description is not unique, as only the direction of the line matters. "

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook