1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between R-algebra and R-module (R is a commutative ring)

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    The definition of R-algebra and R-module looks somewhat similar when R is a commutative ring.

For instance, R[x] is both an R-algebra and R-module.

I'll appreciate if anyone shows an example which is an R-algebra but not an R-module, and vice versa.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just look at how an R-algebra is defined: it's really an R-module with extra structure. So while every R-algebra is an R-module - with same action of R - the converse need not be true. I'll let you try to think of an example.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    The difference is quite significant. An R-module M is firstly an abelian group; it has not multiplicative structure. An R-algebra A is a ring which when you forget about the multiplicative structure is also an R-module.

To show you an example of a module that is not an alegebra: pick your favourite vector space. That's just a module over a field, for example R^n. This is clearly not an algebra since you have no notion of multiplying vectors to get another vector.

However, any algebra R-algebra A can easily be turned into an R-module, by simply forgetting the multiplicative structure in A. For example lets take the R-algebra R[x]; these are just polynomials with variable x and coefficients in R with scalar multiplication by R. Throw out the multiplicative structure leaves you with an R-module usually denoted by Rx (no brackets). Elements in here are of the form rx where r\in R. x^2 is not the module since you can't multiply x by itself. You can simply add elements rx+sx=(r+s)x, r,s\in R

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if R and S are rings, an R algebra structure on S is a ring map R-->S.

If M is an abelian group, and R a ring, an R module structure on M is a ring map

R->End(M).

6. Oct 2, 2008 #5
    Thanks for all replies. Now, I am getting a grasp on the fundamental differences between them.

I still don't understand and decrypt what mathwonk said though.
    Algebra structure and module structure correspond a ring map?

Any references or additional remarks will be highly appreciated.

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't given us what your definitions of R-algebra and R-module are. What mathwonk said could be taken as definitions.

I'm going to assume that when you say a X is an R-algebra or an R-module, then you're thinking of R acting on X in an appropriate way. So if x is in X and r is in R, then we can look at the element "rx" that sits in the R-algebra/module X.

Now if S is an R-algebra, then one can define a map f:R->S by setting f(r)=r1 (where 1 is the identity element of S). You can easily check that f is a ring homomorphism (and that the image of f lies in the center of S). In this way an R-algebra structure on S is a ring homomorphism from R into the center of S.

And if M is an R-module, then for each r in R one can define a map f_r:M->M by setting f_r(m)=rm. This is easily seen to be a group endomorphism of the abelian group M, i.e. f_r lies in the ring End(M). Then if we let g:R->End(M) be defined by g(r)=f_r, we see that g is a ring homomorphism. In other words, R acts on M as endomorphisms of M.

Like I said, all this can be used to define R-algebras and R-modules. Try to prove that these definitions are equivalent to what you have.

As for references, any algebra book should talk about this stuff, see e.g. Dummit & Foote, Hungerford, Lang, ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?