Difference between tensor and vector?

In summary, δij is a Kronecker delta, which is considered a tensor. It represents the identity when i=j and is a matrix, making it a rank 2 tensor. A vector, on the other hand, is a rank 1 tensor, and a scalar is a rank 0 tensor. The conversation also referenced a helpful link for further understanding of tensors.
Vitani11
δij is the Kronecker delta - is this considered a tensor or vector? I know it means the identity when i=j so I'm going to guess tensor because it's a matrix rather than just a vector but I want to make sure. A matrix is a rank 2 tensor and a vector is a rank 1 and a scalar is a rank 0? How does that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay awesome! Thank you for the clarification and link

1. What is the fundamental difference between a tensor and a vector?

A tensor is a mathematical quantity that describes the relationship between different vectors or sets of vectors, while a vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. Can a tensor be considered as a generalization of a vector?

Yes, a vector can be seen as a special case of a tensor where the order (or number of indices) is equal to 1.

3. How do tensors and vectors differ in terms of their transformation properties?

Vectors transform in a specific way under coordinate transformations, while tensors transform according to specific rules depending on their order or rank.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors and vectors?

Tensors are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the properties of physical systems, while vectors are often used in mathematics and physics to describe quantities such as velocity, acceleration, or force.

5. Can tensors and vectors be added or multiplied together?

Tensors of the same order and dimensions can be added together, while tensors and vectors of different orders cannot be added or multiplied together in a meaningful way.