Difference symmetric matrices vector space and hermitian over R

• Thread starter Rowina
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys,
I have a bit of a strange problem. I had to prove that the space of symmetric matrices is a vector space. That's easy enough, I considered all nxn matrices vector spaces and showed that symmetric matrices are a subspace. (through proving sums and scalars)

However, then I was asked to prove that the space of hermitian matrices is a vector space over R. I fail to see the difference between the two questions, as I thought hermitian matrices over R did not have any complex entries and therefore were just regular symmetric matrices.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between these two questions are?

Answers and Replies

Hi guys,
I have a bit of a strange problem. I had to prove that the space of symmetric matrices is a vector space. That's easy enough, I considered all nxn matrices vector spaces and showed that symmetric matrices are a subspace. (through proving sums and scalars)

However, then I was asked to prove that the space of hermitian matrices is a vector space over R. I fail to see the difference between the two questions, as I thought hermitian matrices over R did not have any complex entries and therefore were just regular symmetric matrices.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between these two questions are?
Hermitian matrices ##\overline{A}=A^\tau ## do have complex entries, just not at the diagonal, and the rest are complex conjugates between upper and lower triangular submatrices. The clue here is, that they do not build a complex vector space, because ##\overline{z \cdot w} \neq z \cdot \overline{w}##, but a real vector space, because ##\overline{z}=z ## for ##z\in \mathbb{R}##.