Differences Between Ordinary and Steel Epoxy Adhesives for Steel Materials

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blue Scallop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Epoxy Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Blue Scallop
Messages
290
Reaction score
17
how is ordinary epoxy (A + B) adhesive differed to steel epoxy (A + B) adhesive in so far as steel is concerned?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Blue Scallop said:
how is ordinary epoxy (A + B) adhesive differed to steel epoxy (A + B) adhesive in so far as steel is concerned?
Uh ... one has steel and the other doesn't?

I was quite surprised when I found out that there even IS such a thing as steel epoxy but I had been using one for years called "JB Weld". I found out because I used it to glue a magnet to a flashlight and damned if it didn't flow along the magnet just as thought it was weakly ferrous, so I checked the ingredients and yep, it has steel in it. Regular old clear epoxies don't.
 
phinds said:
damned if it didn't flow along the magnet just as thought it was weakly ferrous
Just saw this video on Facebook -- strange! (Not JB Weld, but still)...

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt