Different round objects of same mass on an incline

In summary, a point mass on a massless disk will have the fastest time reaching the bottom on an incline.
zorro

Homework Statement

A solid sphere, a hollow sphere and a disc, all having the same mass and radius are placed at the top on an incline and released. The friction coefficients between objects and the incline are same and not sufficient to allow pure rolling. Least time will be taken in reaching bottom by? Which object will have the least kinetic energy on reaching the bottom?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the friction is same for all, their accelerations down the plane will be same. Hence time taken will be same for all.
This implies that velocities at the bottom should be same (since they start from rest and reach in same time). Therefore the Kinetic energies must be equal.

But the answer is 'the hollow sphere' (for the second part)

One more thing, suppose the objects are in pure rolling motion (friction is sufficient). Then in that case will the time taken to reach the bottom of incline be same for all?

Physics news on Phys.org

Since the friction is same for all, their accelerations down the plane will be same. Hence time taken will be same for all.

If there were no friction, this would be true. These things have to get rolling before they can come down the incline.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Good.
This implies that velocities at the bottom should be same (since they start from rest and reach in same time). Therefore the Kinetic energies must be equal.
Their translational velocities will be the same. But what about their rotational velocities?

One more thing, suppose the objects are in pure rolling motion (friction is sufficient). Then in that case will the time taken to reach the bottom of incline be same for all?
What do you base this on? Hint: Don't assume that the static friction is the same for all.

Their translational velocities will be the same. But what about their rotational velocities?

Loss of potential energy of each object appears as gain in Kinetic (translational and rotational) energy. There is no energy loss anywhere.
So the kinetic energies gained by them should be equal - right?
rotational velocity will be maximum for the solid sphere and minimum for the hollow sphere.

What do you base this on? Hint: Don't assume that the static friction is the same for all.

base on what? did not get you.

Consider the moments of inertia of the 3 objects, this may help. Which is the hardest to get spinning?

Solid sphere is hardest to get spinning. What next?

Are you sure about that? I thought that the moment of inertial had to do with mass distribution about a radius and also there is an r-squared effect too (mass at a greater value of r contributes to MoI more than mass near the center). Based on this, the shell would be my bet.

Yes you are right, moment of inertia of shell is greatest.
But L=Iw
since L is constant for all bodies, w is inversely proportional to I
so sphere is hardest to spin

Abdul Quadeer said:
Loss of potential energy of each object appears as gain in Kinetic (translational and rotational) energy. There is no energy loss anywhere.
So the kinetic energies gained by them should be equal - right?
rotational velocity will be maximum for the solid sphere and minimum for the hollow sphere.
If there is slipping, there will be energy loss.

base on what? did not get you.
I want your reasons for thinking that the time would be the same if they rolled without slipping.

Doc Al said:
I want your reasons for thinking that the time would be the same if they rolled without slipping.

I got it. Time taken will be different because friction force acting would be different (as u told) and hence different acceleration. Thanks :smile:

But L=Iw
since L is constant for all bodies, w is inversely proportional to I
so sphere is hardest to spin

Not sure I agree that L is constant for all bodies (please don't make be actually do this problem analytically).

I do agree that solid sphere has the smallest I.

Take this to the extreme: A central point mass on a massless disk is not going to waste much time trying to rotate. It will get to the bottom as fast as a point mass sliding down a frictionless incline.

1. What is the purpose of studying different round objects of same mass on an incline?

The purpose of this study is to explore the effects of different shapes on the motion of objects with the same mass when placed on an incline. This can help us understand the principles of physics and how different variables, such as shape, can impact an object's motion.

2. How does the shape of an object affect its motion on an incline?

The shape of an object can affect its motion on an incline in various ways. For example, a round object may roll down the incline faster than a flat object due to its shape providing less resistance to motion. Additionally, the shape can also affect the object's center of mass and distribution of weight, which can impact its stability and movement on the incline.

3. What variables should be controlled when conducting this study?

To accurately study the effects of shape on an object's motion on an incline, it is important to control variables such as the mass of the objects, the incline angle, and the surface of the incline. This will ensure that any differences in motion can be attributed to the shape of the objects and not other external factors.

4. What are some potential sources of error in this study?

Some potential sources of error in this study could include variations in the surface of the incline, such as bumps or imperfections, which could impact the motion of the objects. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the results. It is important to conduct multiple trials and average the data to minimize these potential errors.

5. How can the results of this study be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this study can have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and sports. For example, understanding how different shapes affect an object's motion can help engineers design more efficient machines or structures. In sports, this knowledge can be used to improve equipment design and enhance performance. Additionally, this study can also help us better understand the dynamics of natural phenomena, such as the movement of rocks and boulders on hillsides.