Differential equation of all the conics in the plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential equation of conics in the plane with the origin as the center and whether the equation should be normalized to have fewer parameters. It is mentioned that for most conics, the center is the point of maximum symmetry, but this does not apply to parabolas or degenerate cases.
Michii
Hi, the problem is parametric families:
To find Differential equation of all the conics in the plane with the origin in the center
But when you speak of center at the origin being the equation of the conics: Ax ^ 2 + Bxy + cy ^ 2 + Dx + ey + F, is it correct to take the origin by making x and y equal to 0? Or what exactly does it refer to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Michii said:
Hi, the problem is parametric families:
To find Differential equation of all the conics in the plane with the origin in the center
But when you speak of center at the origin being the equation of the conics: Ax ^ 2 + Bxy + cy ^ 2 + Dx + ey + F, is it correct to take the origin by making x and y equal to 0? Or what exactly does it refer to?
I'm not sure what the question means. Where is the centre of a parabola? For anything else, you could look for a point about which the curve is symmetric.

Sorry I was not very clear, the question is: what does it mean that the equation of the conic has the origin in the center ?, I think that it would only be to equalize to zero the equation of the conic thus: Ax ^ 2 + Bxy + cy ^ 2 + Dx + ey + F = 0, thanks

Michii said:
Sorry I was not very clear, the question is: what does it mean that the equation of the conic has the origin in the center ?, I think that it would only be to equalize to zero the equation of the conic thus: Ax ^ 2 + Bxy + cy ^ 2 + Dx + ey + F = 0, thanks
No, that is a completely general equation for a conic. It is not normalised in any way.
As I wrote, for most conics you could argue that the centre is the point of maximum symmetry. Making that the origin should give you an equation with fewer parameters. (How many fewer, do you think?)
But I cannot make this work for a parabola. It has no natural centre.

Edit: also does not work for the degenerate case of a single straight line.

Last edited:
Likes Michii
Thank you very much for your help!

Michii said:
Thank you very much for your help!
Did you figure out the symmetry?

1. What is a differential equation of a conic in the plane?

A differential equation of a conic in the plane is an equation that relates the derivatives of the coordinates of a point on the curve to the coordinates themselves. It is used to describe the motion of an object along a conic curve.

2. What are the different types of conic sections?

The four types of conic sections are the circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. These curves are formed by intersecting a cone with a plane at different angles and positions.

3. How do you solve a differential equation of a conic?

To solve a differential equation of a conic, you first need to determine the type of conic section it represents. Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or power series to solve the equation and find the specific equation of the conic.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations of conics?

Differential equations of conics have many applications in physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to model the orbits of planets and satellites, the motion of projectiles, and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can all conic sections be described by a single differential equation?

Yes, all conic sections can be described by the same general form of a differential equation. However, the specific values of the coefficients may differ depending on the type of conic section being described.