Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation reducible to Bessel's Equation

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    How do I reduce an equation to Bessel's equation and find a general solution to it:

For example how do I solve this:

x^2y" + xy' + (4x^4 - 1/4)y = 0 (set x^2 = z)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, apparently you have been told to "set z= x2". Have you tried that at all? Do you know how to use the chain rule to convert d2y/dx2 to d2y/dz2?

To start you off, dy/dx= (dy/dz)(dz/dx)= (2x)(dy/dz).

Then d^2y/dx^2= d(2x dy/dz)/dx= 2 dy/dz+ d(dy/dx)/dx= 2 dy/dz +(d^2y/dz^2)(2x).

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Hi all,

How do i reduce the eqn. below to Bessel's eqn. (how can i use the transformation when i have y, x, and u)

4x^2y'' - 20xy' + (4x^2 + 35)y = 0 (y = (x^3).u)

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean to set y= x3u(x) where u is some unknown function? Then just DO it!

If y= x3u, then y'= 3x2u+ x3u' and y"= 6xu+ 6x2u'+ x3u". Replace y, y' and y" in the equation with those and you get another differential equation for u rather than y.

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5
    I was not sure about u is a function of x, should that be so? I am asking this is because i do not understand (unless u is a func. of x) why we use a third variable for reducing.

I will try what you suggested, and thank you for your help.

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If u is NOT a function of x, what is it? A constant? If that were so, you would be asking how to write an equation in x and y, a function of x, in terms of x only, and that cannot be done.

8. Nov 2, 2008 #7
    Yes, you are right. I just could not think simple, (may be it can be written as u(x) instead of u, for being more clear, but u is commonly used as a function of x, i should have remembered that),anyway, i reduced the ode to Bessel's eqn. Thanks for your help again.

9. Jul 27, 2009 #8
    hey pips can you help me solve this one:

xy'' - y' + y = 0....in terms of bessel functions

10. Jul 30, 2009 #9
    Try this substitution:

[tex]X=2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

[tex]Y=\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

11. Sep 23, 2010 #10
    Hey could you help me solve
    x^2*y''+2x*y'+x^2*y=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?