Differential equation with rate of change inversely proportional to square root

  • Thread starter Thread starter sebasalekhine7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 13K views
sebasalekhine7
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
The rate of change of y with respect to x is inversely proportional to the square root of y.
a)Write a differential equation for the given statement
b)Solve the differential equation in part a.

I don't know, but what I've done so far is:
[tex]({dy/dx}) k=y^{1/2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I think this is it:

a) (dy/dx)x=1/sqrt(y)

b)
(dy/dx)1/x²=y
-2x/x^4=y
 
Incorrect.It's INVERSE PROPORTIONALITY.We usually let the constant in the other side of the equality.

dy(x)/dx~y^{-\frac{1}{2}}=>[tex]\frac{dy(x)}{dx}=ky^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Daniel.
 
Last edited:
ToxicBug said:
I'm not sure, but I think this is it:

a) (dy/dx)x=1/sqrt(y)

b)
(dy/dx)1/x²=y
-2x/x^4=y

Sorry,there's no "x" explicitely.Just "y" to a power & its first derivative of "y".


Daniel.
 
Nevermind, I think I misunderstood the whole point of the question :/
 
ok, but why is the "x" in the left side of the equation, why is there an x at all?
 
so the solution should just be [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=ky^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] ?
 
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= ky^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]
is a "separable equation". Write it as
[tex]y^{\frac{1}{2}}dy= kdx[/tex]
and integrate.