Differential equations in the schrodinger equation.

In summary, the method of integrating factors involves finding a function that turns the left-hand side of a differential equation into a total derivative. This can be done by solving a related differential equation and using the logarithm. In the case of the Schrodinger time equation, the solution can be found without an integrating factor, but the method still applies.
neptune12XII
i got a book on differential equations that says a shortcut to solving the general differential equation f'(x)+p(x)f(x)=g(x) is to take the antiderivative of g(x) dx times exp(-p(x) dx times x) to solve for f(x) where dx represents the functions antiderivative. (i kno its supposed to represent the infinitesml area under part of a curve and i i were proper id write it as an improper integral. some unhelpful guy on yahoo answer pointed this out.) and yes, they explained how it worked. anyway, i was watching a tutorial on the schrodinger equation and i believe solving for the T(t) component of the wavefunction came down to the equation T'(t)+iE/(h-bar)T(t)=0. in this case p would be iE/(h-bar) and g=0 which i understand are constants. they said that the solution is T(t)=e^iEt/(h-bar). but i don't understand how the process i learned applies. if somebody could explain the process used thatd be great. I am pretty sure i just got lost and i hope my question is clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first method that you mention is known as the integrating factor method. The 2nd equation, for the time-dependent factor of the Schrodinger wavefunction, is actually simple and the integrating factor is not required to solve the equation.

As you mention, the antiderivative of a function ##f(x)## is the function

$$ F(x) = \int^x_{x_0} f(x') dx'.$$

Here ##x'## is what's called a "dummy" variable, since once we integrate over it, the expression no longer depends on it. This formula is justified in standard calculus texts, so I won't say more about it.

Now if we consider differential equations, we can quickly realize that the simplest types of differential equation to solve are ones of the form

$$ \frac{df(x)}{dx} = g(x), ~~~~~(1)$$

i.e., the expression containing the derivatives is actually a total derivative. Then we can see that the solution to the equation is just

$$ f(x) = \int_{x_0}^x g(x') dx',~~~~(2)$$

where ##x_0## is a constant that supplies the constant of integration for the general solution. Equations of the form (1) are sometimes called "integrable," since they have a direct solution (even if we can't simplify the actual integral on the right-hand side of (2).)

Now an equation of the form

$$ T'(t) + k T(t) = 0 ,~~~~(3)$$

for constant ##t## is also integrable, because

$$ -k = \frac{T'(t)}{T(t)} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \ln T(t) \right).$$

We will find that

$$ T(t) = A e^{-k t},$$

for a constant ##A##.

Now that we have these pieces in place, we can actually explain why integrating factors exist.
Consider our equation

$$ \frac{df(x)}{dx} + p(x) f(x) = g(x).$$

The left-hand side is not a total derivative, but we can ask if some multiple of it is. Namely, can we find a function ##m(x)## such that

$$ \frac{d}{dx} \Bigl( m(x) f(x) \Bigr) = m(x) \frac{df(x)}{dx} + m(x) p(x) f(x) = m(x) g(x).~~~~~(4)$$

If we expand the derivative on the left, we find that such an ##m(x)## must satisfy the differential equation

$$ \frac{d m(x) }{dx} + p(x) m(x) = 0.$$

This equation of the same form as the time equation (3), except now instead of the constant ##k##, we have the function ##p(x)##. We can still use the logarithm to solve for

$$ m(x) = \exp \left( \int^x p(x') dx' \right).$$

Once ##m(x)## is determined, we can also integrate (4) to find

$$ f(x) = \frac{1}{m(x)} \left( \int^x m(x') g(x') dx' + C \right).$$

To get to your question, we can try to apply this to equation (3), where we didn't really need an integration factor. We simply have ##p(t) =k##, so that ##m(t) = e^{kt}##. Since ##g(t)=0##, we simply have ##f(x) = C e^{-kt}##. So the integrating factor method still works, it is just overkill. Also, we really needed to know how to solve equations of the form (3) in order to derive the method in the first place.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a differential equation that takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and is used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

2. How are differential equations used in the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a differential equation because it involves the first and second derivatives of the wave function with respect to time and position. These derivatives represent the rate of change of the wave function and allow us to predict the behavior of a quantum system over time.

3. What is the significance of the wave function in the Schrodinger equation?

The wave function in the Schrodinger equation represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular state. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the particle at a specific position. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What types of differential equations are involved in the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation involves both ordinary and partial differential equations. The time evolution of the wave function is described by an ordinary differential equation, while the spatial dependence is described by a partial differential equation.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation used in real-world applications?

The Schrodinger equation is used to understand the behavior of microscopic particles such as atoms and molecules. It has applications in many fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers and transistors.