1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations question

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a CAS and knowledge of level curves to plot representative graphs of the members of the family of solutions of the differential equation. Experiment with different numbers of level curves as well as various rectanguar regions defined by a<x<b,c<y<d. Then on separate coordinate axes plot the graphs of the particular solutions corresponding to the initial conditions: y(0)=-1, y(0)=2 y(-1)=4, y(-1)=-3

2. Relevant equations

Differential equation: dy/dx = -(8x+5)/(3y^2+1)

3. The attempt at a solution

This totally confuses me as the textbook never once mentions level curves or even family of solutions. What do these terms mean? I'm starting to think online college isn't the right course method for me. The second part (then on separate coordinate axes plot the graphs of the particular...) do we just solve the diff with x=0,0,-1,-1 and y=-1,2,4,-3?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook