Differential geometry question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation J^{\alpha}{ }_{;\alpha}={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}\partial_\alpha(\sqrt{-g}J^\alpha) using the equations \Gamma^\gamma{}_{\alpha\beta}={1\over 2}g^{\gamma\delta}(g_{\delta\alpha,\beta}+g_{\delta\beta,\alpha}-g_{\alpha\beta,\delta}) and \partial_\alpha\sqrt{-g}=-{1\over 2}\sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu,\alpha}. The solution involves expanding both sides and cancelling out the sqrt(-
Pacopag

Homework Statement

Can some one please explain to me how to show that
[tex]J^{\alpha}{ }_{;\alpha}={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}\partial_\alpha(\sqrt{-g}J^\alpha)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Gamma^\gamma{}_{\alpha\beta}={1\over 2}g^{\gamma\delta}(g_{\delta\alpha,\beta}+g_{\delta\beta,\alpha}-g_{\alpha\beta,\delta})[/tex]
and
[tex]\partial_\alpha\sqrt{-g}=-{1\over 2}\sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu,\alpha}[/tex] (I think this is correct).

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've tried
[tex]J^{\alpha}{ }_{;\alpha}=g^{\alpha\beta}J_{\beta;\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]=g^{\alpha\beta}(J_{\beta,\alpha}-J_\gamma\Gamma^\gamma{}_{\alpha\beta})[/tex]
[tex]=g^{\alpha\beta}(J_{\beta,\alpha}-{1\over 2}J_\gamma g^{\gamma\delta}(g_{\delta\alpha,\beta}+g_{\delta\beta,\alpha}-g_{\alpha\beta,\gamma})).[/tex]
Now turning to the other side
[tex]{1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}\partial_\alpha(\sqrt{-g}J^{\alpha})[/tex]
[tex]={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}(J^\alpha\partial_\alpha\sqrt{-g}+\sqrt{-g}\partial_\alpha J^\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]={1\over{\sqrt{-g}}}(-{1\over 2}\sqrt{-g}g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu,\alpha}J^\alpha+\sqrt{-g}J^\alpha{}_{,\alpha})[/tex]
Then cancel the sqrt(-g). But here I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I got it. Just had to turn the crank a little. Cheers.

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using the tools of calculus. It involves understanding the geometric properties of objects and how they change in relation to one another.

What are the applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to analyze and model the behavior of physical systems, develop algorithms for computer graphics, and design efficient trajectories for robotic systems.

What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include manifolds, curvature, and metrics. Manifolds are abstract spaces that locally resemble Euclidean spaces, curvature measures the deviation from flatness of a manifold, and metrics define the distance between points on a manifold.

How is differential geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Differential geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as topology, calculus of variations, and differential equations. It also has connections to algebraic geometry and Lie theory.

What are some famous theorems in differential geometry?

Some famous theorems in differential geometry include the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology, and the Nash embedding theorem, which states that any Riemannian manifold can be isometrically embedded into a higher-dimensional Euclidean space.