1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating thermodynamic coefficients

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In oppgave 1 a) I am supposed to show that the given equality is true (namely that the isoterm compressibility coefficient partial-differentiated with regards to temperature = isobar coefficient differentiated with regards to pressure multiplied by minus one).

http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~stovneng/TFY4165_2014/oving2.pdf

3. The attempt at a solution

I can naturally see that the way to attack this problem is to simply carry out the differentiations, but how does it make sense to partially differentiate ##\alpha_V## with regards to ##p## when ##\alpha_V## assumes constant pressure? And besides, ##\alpha_V## measures the change of relative volume as a function of ##T##, yet constant temperature is assumed for ##\frac{\partial \alpha_V}{\partial p}##? It's a similar problem with the differentiating the isoterm coefficient with regards to temperature while keeping pressure constant..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not strong in Norwegian. alpha_v may be defined at constant pressure, that doesn't mean its value is independent of the pressure!

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3
    Okay, but alpha_v is the change of relative volume with regards to temperature, yet ##\frac{\partial \alpha_V}{\partial p}## assumes constant temperature? How does it make sense to calculate how ##\alpha_V## (which is a measure of how the volume varies with regards to temperature) varies while the temperature is constant?

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4
    ##\alpha_V## is a function of both temperature and pressure. Unfortunately, many, if not most, texts on thermodynamics do a very bad job at explaining functional dependencies among all the things they operate with. The unconventional notation ##\left({\partial X \over \partial Y}\right)_{Z}## is my personal anti-favorite, because in my experience very few students understand what it really signifies. Just for the record, it means that ##X## is considered to be a function of ##Y## and ##Z##, and is differentiated with respect to ##Y##. The usually added bit that ##Z## is held constant is redundant because that follows from the definition of partial differentiation. I suspect it is not only redundant, but is severely confusing, because the obvious redundancy makes the inexperienced reader wonder what really is going on.

6. Jan 26, 2014 #5
    Please write down your defining equations for αV and κT. Once you get a look at these, you will see immediately how to prove what you are trying to prove.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted