Differentiation and Tangent Lines.

In summary: Given f(x) = \arctan\left({\frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}}\right)I differentiated and this was my answer.\d{y}{x} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{1+x}\sqrt{1-x}{(1-x)}^{2}}I used implicit differentiation on the elliptic curve {x}^{2}+4{y}^{2} = 36 and it wants two horizontal tangents through (12,3)Finding the derivative implicitly I get.\d{y}{x} = \frac{-x}{4y}
tc903
Given\(\displaystyle f(x) = \arctan\left({\frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}}\right)\)

I differentiated and this was my answer.

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{1+x}\sqrt{1-x}{(1-x)}^{2}}\)

I used implicit differentiation on the elliptic curve \(\displaystyle {x}^{2}+4{y}^{2} = 36\) and it wants two horizontal tangents through \(\displaystyle (12,3)\)

Finding the derivative implicitly I get.

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x} = \frac{-x}{4y}\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wrapped your $\LaTeX$ coding with [MATH][/MATH] tags, so they would parse correctly. :D

1.) W|A returns a different result for \(\displaystyle \d{f}{x}\)

2.) You have implicitly differentiated correctly. But, there would only be one horizontal tangent through the given point. I would actually work this problem without using the calculus. I would let the tangent lines be:

\(\displaystyle y=m(x-12)+3\)

And then substitute for $y$ into the equation of the ellipse, and then for the resulting quadratic in $x$, require the discriminant to be zero, resulting in a quadratic in $m$, which you can solve, and then you have the two required tangent lines.

I found \(\displaystyle \d{f}{x}\) for the first one both using quotient rule and product rule. I changed the latex so it showed my answer now.

tc903 said:
I found \(\displaystyle \d{f}{x}\) for the first one both using quotient rule and product rule. I changed the latex so it showed my answer now.

Without seeing your work, I can't tell where your error is. Here is what I get:

I would choose to write:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x}=\frac{1}{\left(\sqrt{\dfrac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)^2+1}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cdot\frac{(1-x)(1)-(1+x)(-1)}{(1-x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x}=\frac{1-x}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1-x}{1+x}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}\cdot\frac{2}{(1-x)^2}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{1-x^2}}\)

This agrees with the result I obtained using W|A last night. :D

I know what I missed. Thanks MarkFL, I will get back on the second problem soon.

Alright, here is my work.

\(\displaystyle f(x) = \arctan\left({\frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}}\right) \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1}{1+{\left(\frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}\right)}^{2}}\left[\d{}{x}{\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)}^{1/2}\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1}{\frac{1-x}{1-x}+\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\left[(\frac{1}{2}\left({\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}})\d{}{x}\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1}{\frac{2}{1-x}}\left[\frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{2\sqrt{1+x}}\left(\frac{\left(1-x\right)\d{}{x}\left(1+x\right)-\left(1+x\right)\d{}{x}\left(1-x\right)}{{\left(1-x\right)}^{2}}\right)\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1-x}{2}\left[\frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{2\sqrt{1+x}}\left(\frac{\left(1-x\right)-\left(1+x\right)\left(-1\right)}{{\left(1-x\right)}^{2}}\right)\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1-x}{2}\left[\frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{2\left(\sqrt{1+x}\right)}\left(\frac{\left(1-x\right)+\left(1+x\right)}{{\left(1-x\right)}^{2}}\right)\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1-x}{2}\left[\frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{2\sqrt{1+x}}\left(\frac{2}{{\left(1-x\right)}^{2}}\right)\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \frac{1-x}{2}\left[\frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{\sqrt{1+x}{\left(1-x\right)}^{2}}\right] \)

\(\displaystyle \d{f}{x} = \d{y}{x} = \frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{2\sqrt{1+x}\left(1-x\right)} \)

I know that is wrong.

Last edited:
Your result is correct. What you have can be simplified a bit and be written in the same form I gave. :D

The second problem.

\(\displaystyle y - {y}_{1} = m\left(x-{x}_{1}\right) \)

\(\displaystyle y - 3 = m\left(x-12\right) \)

\(\displaystyle y = m\left(x-12\right) + 3 \)Substituting the above,\(\displaystyle {x}^{2} + 4{y}^{2} = 36 \)

\(\displaystyle {x}^{2} +4\left(m\left(x-12\right)+3\right)^{2} = 36 \)

\(\displaystyle {x}^{2} + 4\left(mx-12m+3\right)^{2} = 36 \)

Good...now what you want to do is express this quadratic in $x$ in standard form:

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bc+c=0\)

And then set the discriminant to zero...can you explain why we need the discriminant to be zero?

I had to leave.

Did you mean \(\displaystyle a{x}^{2}+bx+c = 0 \)

\(\displaystyle {b}^{2} - 4ac = 0 \) So that I may find repeated real solutions.

\(\displaystyle {x}^{2} + 4\left({(mx)}^{2}-12{m}^{2}x+3mx-12{m}^{2}+144{m}^{2}-36m+3mx-36m+9\right) = 36 \)

Skipping steps shown.

\(\displaystyle {x}^{2}+4{(mx)}^{2}-96{m}^{2}x+24mx+576{m}^{2}-288m = 0 \)

Last edited:
That's correct, and then putting it in standard form, I get:

\(\displaystyle \left(4m^2+1\right)x^2+24m(1-4m)x+288m(2m-1)=0\)

Now, the reason we want the discriminant to be zero is as you said, we want only 1 repeated root, which corresponds to the case of the line being tangent to the ellipse, i.e., there is only 1 point of intersection. So, equating the discriminant to zero, what do you find?

If we set the discriminant to zero, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(24m(1-4m)\right)^2-4\left(4m^2+1\right)\left(288m(2m-1)\right)=0\)

This reduces to:

\(\displaystyle 576m(3m-2)=0\)

Hence, we find:

\(\displaystyle m\in\left\{0,\frac{2}{3}\right\}\)

And so our two tangent lines are:

\(\displaystyle y_1=0(x-12)+3=3\)

\(\displaystyle y_2=\frac{2}{3}(x-12)+3=\frac{2}{3}x-5\)

Now, you may be thinking, "but I am taking calculus...shouldn't I be using the derivative I found?"

So, I will outline what I would do to use the calculus here:

1.) Label the tangent point as $(x,y)$.

2.) Equate your derivative with the slope of the line passing through the tangent point and the given point $(12,3)$, to get a relationship between $x$ and $y$.

3.) Use the equation of the ellipse to greatly simplify this relationship, to obtain a linear relationship between $x$ and $y$.

4.) Substitute for either $x$ or $y$ using the linear equation for step 3.) into the equation of the ellipse to obtain a quadratic, which you then solve.

5.) You should now have two points, which you substitute into your derivative to get the slopes of the two tangent lines.

6.) Use the point-slope formula to determine the two tangent lines.

Can you post your working using this method?

Okay, I going to wrap this up for other readers. :D

2.) Equate your derivative with the slope of the line passing through the tangent point and the given point $(12,3)$, to get a relationship between $x$ and $y$.

\(\displaystyle -\frac{x}{4y}=\frac{3-y}{12-x}-\implies x^2+4y^2-12(x+y)=0\)

3.) Use the equation of the ellipse to greatly simplify this relationship, to obtain a linear relationship between $x$ and $y$.

Since we know $x^2+4y^2=36$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 36-12(x+y)=0\implies y=3-x\)

4.) Substitute for either $x$ or $y$ using the linear equation for step 3.) into the equation of the ellipse to obtain a quadratic, which you then solve.

\(\displaystyle x^2+4(3-x)^2=36\implies x(5x-24)=0\)

5.) You should now have two points, which you substitute into your derivative to get the slopes of the two tangent lines.

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=(0,3),\,\left(\frac{24}{5},-\frac{9}{5}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{y}{x}\right|_{(x,y)=(0,3)}=-\frac{0}{4(4)}=0\)

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{y}{x}\right|_{(x,y)=\left(\frac{24}{5},-\frac{9}{5}\right)}=-\frac{\frac{24}{5}}{4\left(-\frac{9}{5}\right)}=\frac{2}{3}\)

6.) Use the point-slope formula to determine the two tangent lines.

\(\displaystyle y_1=0(x-12)+3=3\)

\(\displaystyle y_2=\frac{2}{3}(x-12)+3=\frac{2}{3}x-5\)

Thanks MarkFl, you were extremely helpful and our answers agree.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It involves finding the derivative of a function, which represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point. It represents the slope of the curve at that point and can be used to approximate the curve's behavior around that point.

3. How is differentiation useful?

Differentiation is useful in many fields of science and engineering. It can be used to analyze the behavior of functions and to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

4. What is the process of finding a tangent line?

To find a tangent line, we first find the derivative of the function at the desired point. Then, we use the slope formula to find the slope of the tangent line. Finally, we use the point-slope formula to write the equation of the tangent line.

5. Can you find the tangent line of any function?

Yes, the tangent line can be found for any continuous function. However, for some functions, the tangent line may not exist at certain points, such as sharp corners or cusps.