Differentiation of an exponential function

In summary, the problem involves finding the exact coordinates of the point on y = e^x where the gradient is 2. Differentiation is required, and the derivative of e^x is e^x. Therefore, the problem can be solved by setting the derivative equal to 2 and solving for the x-coordinate.
pavadrin
Hey,
I have a problem involving natural logs which has got me confused, even though it appears simple.
The problem: Find the exact coordinates of the point on [tex]y = e^x[/tex] where the gradient is 2.
From previous experience, I know that differentiation is required, but because of the e I am not sure on how to go about this. After the differentiation I think I can manage to complete it.
Thanks,
Pavdarin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
Hey,
I have a problem involving natural logs which has got me confused, even though it appears simple.
The problem: Find the exact coordinates of the point on [tex]y = e^x[/tex] where the gradient is 2.
From previous experience, I know that differentiation is required, but because of the e I am not sure on how to go about this. After the differentiation I think I can manage to complete it.
Thanks,
Pavdarin

Well what is the derivative of [tex]y = e^x[/tex]?

if you don't know it you can find out using the given that d/dx ln x = 1/x and then calculate d/dx ln [tex]e^x[/tex] using the chain rule

If you know how to do this kind of problem then all you need is the derivative of e^x which is just e^x. Just do this problem as you would do if "y" was any other function, for example a polynomial.

thanks for the help, however i am still unsure on how to approach this problem

pavadrin said:

the derivative is the gradient, so the following must be solved:

[tex]\frac {dy} {dx}\ = 2[/tex]

This will give you the x-coordinate.

Last edited:
pavadrin said:

You "approach" this problem by differentiating ex! What is the derivative of ex? (It's the world's easiest derivative!)

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function that has the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. The base, b, is usually a positive number and is raised to a power, x.

2. How do you differentiate an exponential function?

To differentiate an exponential function, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of f(x) = ax^n is f'(x) = nax^(n-1). In the case of an exponential function, the derivative will have the same base, b, and the exponent will be one less than the original exponent.

3. What is the derivative of e^x?

The derivative of e^x is e^x. This is because e is a special number, approximately equal to 2.71828, and its derivative is itself. So the derivative of e^x is the same as the derivative of f(x) = 2.71828^x.

4. Can you differentiate an exponential function with a variable as the exponent?

Yes, you can differentiate an exponential function with a variable as the exponent. The power rule still applies, and the derivative will have the same base, b, and the exponent will be one less than the original exponent.

5. Why is the derivative of e^x equal to e^x?

The derivative of e^x is equal to e^x because e is a special number with a unique property. When e is raised to a power, the slope of the tangent line at any point on the curve is equal to the value of e^x at that point. This is why the derivative of e^x is always e^x, regardless of the value of x.