1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of an exponential function

1. Jul 17, 2006 #1
    I have a problem involving natural logs which has got me confused, even though it appears simple.
    The problem: Find the exact coordinates of the point on [tex]y = e^x[/tex] where the gradient is 2.
    From previous experience, I know that differentiation is required, but because of the e I am not sure on how to go about this. After the differentiation I think I can manage to complete it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2006 #2
    Well what is the derivative of [tex]y = e^x[/tex]?
  4. Jul 17, 2006 #3
    if you don't know it you can find out using the given that d/dx ln x = 1/x and then calculate d/dx ln [tex]e^x[/tex] using the chain rule
  5. Jul 17, 2006 #4
    If you know how to do this kind of problem then all you need is the derivative of e^x which is just e^x. Just do this problem as you would do if "y" was any other function, for example a polynomial.
  6. Jul 17, 2006 #5
    thanks for the help, however i am still unsure on how to approach this problem
  7. Jul 17, 2006 #6
    the derivative is the gradient, so the following must be solved:

[tex]\frac {dy} {dx}\ = 2[/tex]

This will give you the x-coordinate.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  8. Jul 17, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You "approach" this problem by differentiating ex! What is the derivative of ex? (It's the world's easiest derivative!)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?