1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of Unit Tangent

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    So we are given T(t) = c'(t)/||c'(t)|| as well as ||T|| = 1

We also know T(t)dotT(t) = 1 and T'(t)dotT(t) = 0

The problem asks us to find T'(t)

I tried differentiating c'(t)/||c'(t)|| treating ||c'(t)|| as the square root of the dot product of c'(t) with itself. I used the product rule, chain rule, quotient rule, and ended up with some nasty terms, namely c'(t) dot c"(t).

I am pretty sure the answer we are looking for is T'(t) = c"(t). Therefore, if we can prove that T(t) = c'(t), then the answer T'(t) = c"(t) follows.

Please help! LOL Not being able to solve this has been bothering me big time!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    Oh wait, I was wrong about something. T(t) will only equal c'(t) if it is parametrized by the arc length.

This is what I got, if anyone cares to check (please do!)

T'(t) = [||c'(t)||(c"(t)) - c'(t)(c'(t) dot c"(t))]/||c'(t)||3
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got c''(t)/|c'(t)|-c'(t)(c'(t).c''(t))/|c'(t)|^3. That's like yours but with some factors and parentheses moved around. You can do a quick check by testing whether T(t).T'(t)=0. Is it?
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4
    That is most definitely what I got when I just re-did the problem!!!!

Yay!!!! Thank you very much, I will go and check it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?