Differentiation using a constant question

In summary, in order to show that a function f is constant on the interval (a,b) if f'(x) = 0 for all values of x on that interval, you must first choose a point c within the interval and use the definition of differentiable to show that f(c) is equal to the limit of f(x) as x approaches c. This implies that the function will have the same value as f(c) when evaluated anywhere inside (a,b) and is therefore constant.
MathDork00

Homework Statement

If f'x = 0 [tex]\forall[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b), show that f is constant there.

I've gotten a final result, but I'm not entirely sure if I actually showed what I intended to show...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fix a point c [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b) and choose a point x [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b) different from c

From definition of differentiable:

f'(x) = lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) (f(x)-f(c))/ x - c

From problem, f'(x) = 0 = lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) (f(x)-f(c))/ x - c

From sums/products of limits,

lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) (f(x)-f(c))/ x - c = lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(x)/(x-c) - f(c)/(x-c)

implies 1/(x-c)lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(x) - 1/(x-c) lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(c) = 0

implies lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(x) = lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(c)

implies lim (x[tex]{\rightarrow}[/tex]c) f(x) = f(c)

This implies that the function will have the same value as f(c) when evaluated anywhere inside (a,b) and is therefore constant.

Sorry if my typing is messy, but I am not too proficient with LaTex! :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Mean value theorem, son.

The mean value thm states that the function needs to be continuous on the closed interval [a,b]... however, the problem does not state anything about the continuity of the function on the closed interval... it only says that the derivative inside the open interval (a,b) is 0... doesn't this mean that i cannot assume anything about the nature of the function at the endpoints and therefore cannot use the mean value thm?

1. What is differentiation using a constant?

Differentiation using a constant is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function at a particular point. It involves finding the derivative of a function by keeping a constant value and differentiating the remaining terms.

2. How is differentiation using a constant different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function with respect to a variable. On the other hand, differentiation using a constant involves keeping a particular value constant and differentiating the remaining terms. This allows us to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of using a constant in differentiation?

The purpose of using a constant in differentiation is to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. By keeping a constant value, we can eliminate the variable and focus on the remaining terms, making it easier to find the derivative.

4. What are the steps involved in differentiation using a constant?

The steps involved in differentiation using a constant are as follows:
1. Identify the function and the constant value.
2. Use the power rule to differentiate the function with respect to the variable.
3. Substitute the constant value in place of the variable in the derivative.
4. Simplify the resulting expression.

5. Can differentiation using a constant be applied to any function?

Yes, differentiation using a constant can be applied to any function as long as the function is differentiable at the specific point where the constant is being kept. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at that point.