Difficuilt and/or interesting problems in fluid mechanics

In summary: It looks more like a collection of interesting problems to kill some time with.In summary, the person is looking for hard problems that have solutions that are a few pages long.
Horvath Bela

Homework Statement

Can anyone please give me hard and interesting problems regarding fluid mechanics problems such as hydrostatic and air prssure bouyance force and Bernoullis equation(Bernoullis equation problems only for liquids)? I tried looking for them but the ones I found were quite easy. I would prefer if you gave me many problems. Please add a solution. Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Horvath Bela said:

Homework Statement

Can anyone please give me hard and interesting problems regarding fluid mechanics problems such as hydrostatic and air prssure bouyance force and Bernoullis equation(Bernoullis equation problems only for liquids)? I tried looking for them but the ones I found were quite easy. I would prefer if you gave me many problems. Please add a solution. Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a few links to some of the places you've found so far? Have you been able to look through past exams at some university classes? I would think you might be able to find something like that with the right Google search terms maybe... :smile:

jedishrfu said:
Why not investigate analytic solutions to the general Navier-Stokes equation? There's a million dollar prize for the first person to find a solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier–Stokes_equations
I know you probably are humourous here but I guess he seeks for (hard) problems that have solutions a few pages (maybe up to 5 pages) long at most, not for a subject/theme for a PhD thesis that is possible up to 100pages or more.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What are some examples of difficult problems in fluid mechanics?

Difficult problems in fluid mechanics can include turbulence, boundary layer separation, and multiphase flows. These problems are challenging because they involve complex interactions between different fluid properties and can be difficult to model and predict.

2. Why is studying fluid mechanics important?

Fluid mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics that helps us understand the behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases, in motion. It has numerous practical applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and environmental engineering. Studying fluid mechanics allows us to design more efficient systems and technologies that rely on fluid flow.

3. What are some current research areas in fluid mechanics?

Current research areas in fluid mechanics include studying the dynamics of extreme events, such as tsunamis and hurricanes, developing new methods for flow control and manipulation, and understanding the complex interactions between fluids and biological systems. Other topics of interest include microfluidics, renewable energy, and multiphase flows in industrial processes.

4. How do scientists solve difficult problems in fluid mechanics?

Solving difficult problems in fluid mechanics often involves a combination of experimental, theoretical, and computational approaches. Scientists use advanced mathematical models, numerical simulations, and experimental techniques such as wind tunnels and flow visualization to gain insights into the underlying physics of fluid flow and develop solutions to complex problems.

5. What are some emerging technologies in fluid mechanics?

Emerging technologies in fluid mechanics include machine learning and artificial intelligence, which are being used to develop more accurate and efficient numerical simulations. Other emerging technologies include advanced materials and coatings for improved flow control, as well as new measurement techniques such as laser-based diagnostics for studying fluid flows at a microscopic level.