Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult implicit function in mathematica.

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Hi everybody. I have an impicit function that I want to solve numerically in mathematica it looks like:

Code (Text):
    f[x] == b1 \!\(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(L\)]\(c[
          x, \[Alpha]] f[\[Alpha]]
    SuperscriptBox[\(E\), \(-\(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(\[Alpha]\)]f[\[Eta]] \
    \[DifferentialD]\[Eta]\)\)] \[DifferentialD]\[Alpha]\)\) + b2 \!\(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(L\)]\(c[
          x, \[Alpha]] \[Rho][\[Alpha]] \(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(\[Alpha]\)]f[\[Xi]]
    SuperscriptBox[\(E\), \(\(-\(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(\[Xi]\)]f[\[Eta]] \
    \[DifferentialD]\[Eta]\)\) -
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(\[Xi]\), \(\[Alpha]\)]\[Rho][\
    \[Eta]] \[DifferentialD]\[Eta]\)] \[DifferentialD]\[Xi] \
    \[DifferentialD]\[Alpha]\)\)\)
    (It's my first time doing something like this so if the code does not work, please say so)

When I put it in mathematica f will be the only unknown. For simplicity it can be assumed at first that c is constant (This one is already solvable for me, next it will probably be a step function, not continuous) and rho is constant (it will be some smooth function)

This is for me a rather hard cookie to crack. I hope there is someone who reads this who can tell me how to do this. Sorry I don't have all the functions yet.

Edit: I use mathematica version 7.0.1.0

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    Block-it, Cell/Convert To/Raw Input form.

That above is what you have to do to cut-and-paste Mathematica-formatted code into a post here without all the unnecessary formatting codes that this forum can't interpret anyway. Granted, you loose all the nicely-formatted math forms and sometimes it's still hard to read, but the reader, if they wished, can invert that by cutting the text out of this forum, pasting it into a Mathematica notebook, then:

Block-it/Cell/Convert To/Standard Form

And that gives an easier read.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook